Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is this on top?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What is this on top?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21:53 am »
I have used some lager strains over 20 generations without an issue and had some that improve for a few generations and then stress out/mutate/go off kilter.  I always use yeast nutrient.  If you can be super sanitary, there is no reason that most yeasts can't go 5-6 generations without incident.  I have overpitched on occasion, resulting in some lightly smoky and clovey phenols, so I try to use no more than a third of a fresh slurry for ales and half of a fresh slurry for lagers.  I use a bit more if the yeast has sat a couple weeks after harvest and make a starter if more than a month has past from harvest.  Writing the strain and harvest date on removable painter's tape stuck to the vessel makes tracking things easier.  Keep the lids a little loose so residual CO2, if any, can escape and store in the fridge under beer.  Some guys pour off the beer and add a little fresh wort from time to time to maintain viability...but I don't.  I just throw old yeast away after a few months.  Lastly, I like to grow yeast up by batch size, rather than making starters all the time with new yeast.  Start with a smaller batch of say a gallon or two and progressively step up in size to get to the full batch size (10 gallons for me, typically).

Good luck with your yeasting!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Re: What is this on top?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
Sounds like a plan and something a few others have mentioned to me.
Thanks!