Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dip stick for measuring kettle volume  (Read 14801 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Dip stick for measuring kettle volume
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:45 am »

I bought a stainless steel ruler on Amazon, then I took measurements filling my kettle up one quart at a time.  In Excel you can plot the points on a graph and generate the equation that most closely approximates a straight line.  Then you can build the function into a spreadsheet where the input is the measured height of liquid and the output is the volume.

This is what I do except with a painted aluminum ruler.  I feel that measuring from the bottom is more accurate than measuring from the top having done both ways as the end of the rule helps make the ruler stand straight when positioned on the bottom.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 09:53:10 am »
I use an unfinished wood stick with markings. Wood gets wet and 'marks' the depth a little better than a metal one.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:06 am »
I marked my wooden mash paddle with a wood burner/soldering iron.  One side for MLT strike volume, one side for HLT sparge water volume.  I didn't feel like adding an additional tool to locate on brew day.  98% of the time, i.e. normal gravity range beers, I don't change my strike/sparge volumes.  I just let my liquor:grist ratio vary.

Boil kettle volume for a 90 minute boil is the edge of the compression fitting on my whirlpool arm.

You can see the mark under the top hole in the paddle.

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!