Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roeselare Blend  (Read 4819 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Roeselare Blend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:47 pm »
If you have the capacity to brew up enough for your 26 gallon barrel all at once then here is what I would to-

4 wks in advance, brew up a simple flanders red recipe with 1 pack of WY Roselare.  Let it ferment out for 1 mos in primary. 

After 1 mos, brew up your 26 gallons for the barrel, rack the initial flanders red into secondary, and split up the yeast cake for your barrel beer (not sure if you planned on primary fermenting in the barrel or not).  You will have more than enough yeast/bacteria to ferment the barrel batch and the successive pitch of Roselare will get a bit sour a bit faster than the first pitch.  This will also give you a flanders red (the initial batch) for topping up the barrel or adding fruit too, etc...

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:24 am »
If you have the capacity to brew up enough for your 26 gallon barrel all at once then here is what I would to-

4 wks in advance, brew up a simple flanders red recipe with 1 pack of WY Roselare.  Let it ferment out for 1 mos in primary. 

After 1 mos, brew up your 26 gallons for the barrel, rack the initial flanders red into secondary, and split up the yeast cake for your barrel beer (not sure if you planned on primary fermenting in the barrel or not).  You will have more than enough yeast/bacteria to ferment the barrel batch and the successive pitch of Roselare will get a bit sour a bit faster than the first pitch.  This will also give you a flanders red (the initial batch) for topping up the barrel or adding fruit too, etc...

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Within a month you will definitely have plenty of lacto and sacc growth but brett is slower to multiply and pedio is even slower.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:01:12 am »
Regardless if it is a slow grower, the yeast cake will still contain enough brett cells to kick start the barrel fermentation.  As the beer ages the brett will change the profile of the beer.  Either way you look at, Roselare is not super aggressive but can produce a good final product in the long run. 

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 08:08:08 pm »
The wisdom I heard....  Sac, Bret and Pedio all seem to take over the wort for a period of time.... but different times...  First Sac...then... i think it was pedio...then bret.   

I think if you ferment out your beer with Sac, then toss in a few vials (not even scaling up to  the ratio of 1 vial/5 gallons)... the bugs will all take their turn on the wort and munch on their part.    (assuming the alcahol levels do not exceede the tollerence of each bug)

Essentially, the Sac is going to ferment to a terminal gravity... then a while later the Pedio will have grown in enough numbers to do their thing .... and eventually eat up what they can and then go to sleep...  then Brett will dominate at the finish and keep working on the remaning sugars... all the while adding more and more brett character. 

It seems like sac just goes off fast, but cannot ferment everything. It starts and finishes before brett and pedio even start the race.   What sugars the sac leaves behind, the Pedio and Brett go after.  Pedio/Brett character ratio is governed by the available O2.    The more o2, the more pedio character comes through. 

I would gather with this, each barrel will kind of govern what the ratio of pedio/brett character you get based on how the staves allow the slow ingress of oxygen.   So in short, the barrel itself may have more say in how your final beer tastes then the ratio of bugs you pitch at the start.

Good luck! 

-- Wingnut - Cheers!