Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chlorinated Water  (Read 3681 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Chlorinated Water
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
A tip I learned on the B&V several years ago has made chlorine removal even easier than using Campden tablets.

Add a half teaspoon of peroxide to 5 gallons of brewing water, swirl it around, and the chlorine is volatilized and gone.

Does that work for chlorimine too, or just chlorine?

Yes, Campden works for both forms of chlorinated water.  There is hypochlorite, and then there is chloramine.  Campden works instantly for both kinds.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
A tip I learned on the B&V several years ago has made chlorine removal even easier than using Campden tablets.

Add a half teaspoon of peroxide to 5 gallons of brewing water, swirl it around, and the chlorine is volatilized and gone.

Does that work for chlorimine too, or just chlorine?

Yes, Campden works for both forms of chlorinated water.  There is hypochlorite, and then there is chloramine.  Campden works instantly for both kinds.

Yeah, I use campden for my "chloramined" water. I was asking about the peroxide.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »
Yeah, I use campden for my "chloramined" water. I was asking about the peroxide.

Good question!  I was in on the discussion chumley mentioned on B&V, but I don't recall.  If I was guessing, I'd guess that only chlorine was discussed because it likely was long enough ago that chloramine wasn't much used (chumley and I have been around on forums for a LONG time).  But you should PM him and see if he remembers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
Peroxide only works on chlorinated water, not chloramine.

Here is the link to the original thread.

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/40327/41985.html?1180886577

Re-reading this, I see the original determined amount was 0.83 tsp per 5 gallons of chlorinated water.  I rounded down as my city water is pretty clean and they don't use that much chlorine.

Offline slobrewer

• 1st Kit
    • SLO Brewer Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:17 am »
The chlorophenols would start to get really foul after about a month in the bottle. When I stopped using chlorine-based cleaners (which I probably wasn't rinsing enough) the chlorophenols lessened so it's definitely possible they were there in the beer after the mash but I didn't have the palette at the time to pick them up.

All I know for sure is once I switched to star-san and using RO water my beers stopped developing chlorophenols.

What you're describing is probably contamination from a wild yeast, not chlorophenols from chlorine or chloramine.  Based on what you've said I would bet that your old cleaning and sanitizing regime wasn't knocking out all the competing wild yeast.  Any phenolic off flavor that increases over time is due to yeast or bacterial activity.
Dave
http://www.slobrewer.com
San Luis Obispo Brewers (SLOBs) member