Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Makes me want a plastic big moiuth  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Makes me want a plastic big moiuth
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:17 am »
She just jammed a pound of leaf hops in there!

http://youtu.be/pluYEUwihKI?list=UUh_h4W2VmFdo3R8g1XaXN_Q - Go to about 2:20 if you don't wish to watch the whole thing.

She neglected weighing it down, rookie.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Makes me want a plastic big moiuth
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:03:58 am »
I would've put the hops in first and racked the beer on top.
Dan Chisholm

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:05:22 am »
I have a 6.5 gallon plastic one. I love it.

Im not sure about the 5 gallon for secondary however for that much dry hopping with leaf hops it could certainly be handy.

Im definitely going to be purchasing another (if not more) of the plastic 6.5's.

I love that they are only 11" diameter. This makes it much easier to fit into ferm chambers etc.

+1 to racking the beer onto the hops

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:11:41 am »
+2 on adding the hops first! Didn't see any sanitizing of the racking cane, vessel, lids or mesh bag either:)

Guess we just assume that was done...
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
Well yeah, adding first is key. I am guessing they did it this way to properly demonstrate the insane amount of leaf they were able to get through the opening. I would drop them in commando then rack.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:43:54 am »
Well yeah, adding first is key. I am guessing they did it this way to properly demonstrate the insane amount of leaf they were able to get through the opening. I would drop them in commando then rack.

+1
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:14:50 am »
Every time I see this product I can't help but wonder "why not just use a bucket?"
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:19:35 am »
Every time I see this product I can't help but wonder "why not just use a bucket?"

Me too.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:38 am »

Me too.

One of the biggest pro's in my opinion is that it is transparent. I like to watch the yeast dance. They are also narrower by an inch. In my freezer this would allow me to have a third vessel without a collar. Better bottles and buckets are just hair too big for this.

Another plus is the threaded lid. I guess that could also be a con as the threads could harbor grime and spoiling organisms.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:24:58 am »

Me too.

One of the biggest pro's in my opinion is that it is transparent. I like to watch the yeast dance. They are also narrower by an inch. In my freezer this would allow me to have a third vessel without a collar. Better bottles and buckets are just hair too big for this.

Another plus is the threaded lid. I guess that could also be a con as the threads could harbor grime and spoiling organisms.
I completely understand the freezer situation. I have to use a 4.5-gallon bucket if I'm brewing 2-lagers at once.

I don't see the threaded lid as a plus, though, unless there is a gasket that fits super-tight inside to make a seal.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
I don't see the threaded lid as a plus, though, unless there is a gasket that fits super-tight inside to make a seal.

Some of the bucket lids I have are complete PIAs to remove. Sometimes I have to put my knee in the middle and pull back to break the seal. More Beer has the softer lids which are nice, but my newer buckets have the hard plastic lids that really grab on. I never understood why the lid tools exist, but after buying True Brew buckets, I get it. Still don't use one, but I get it.

Threaded lid is nice and simple.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:52:57 am »
Regular non gasket sealed bucket lids leak for me at times. I am getting ready to try a gamma lid as a replacement. If that doesn't seal well either, I'm going to the big mouth carboys.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

Regular non gasket sealed bucket lids leak for me at times. I am getting ready to try a gamma lid as a replacement. If that doesn't seal well either, I'm going to the big mouth carboys.
My only issue with the gamma lids is the ring is designed to be permanent. Cleaning underneath would be a hassle. I know people that use the 14 gallon vittles vault (same lid) and have had zero issues, but I am hesitant.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 02:12:20 pm »

My only issue with the gamma lids is the ring is designed to be permanent. Cleaning underneath would be a hassle. I know people that use the 14 gallon vittles vault (same lid) and have had zero issues, but I am hesitant.

I agree that cleaning it could be a pain. I have no actual plan to remove the outer lid at all. I will only remove the screw on top and just do my best to clean under the outer lid with several brushes I have.
I've thought of running a bead of food grade silicone around the outer lid portion, inside the bucket. That way there is a seal from anything getting under that portion. But doing that pretty much makes it a permanent lid.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 06:08:45 pm »
Food grade sealant is a solid plan. Make sure the stuff you get will stick to plastic.