Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Curious about hop flavor and yeast attenuation...  (Read 2934 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Curious about hop flavor and yeast attenuation...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »
Very good. Does it matter if you purge before or after racking? Also I saw an interesting video where a guy put his dry hop in the secondary before racking. thought it was a cool idea.

You have to purge before you rack - CO2 is heavier than O2, so the CO2 will tend to sit in the bottom of your next vessel. So, you are racking into a mostly CO2-rich environment. You want this. I place my dry hops into a purged keg, into the canister I use, and then rack on top.
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Curious about hop flavor and yeast attenuation...
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 07:11:56 am »
Very good. Does it matter if you purge before or after racking? Also I saw an interesting video where a guy put his dry hop in the secondary before racking. thought it was a cool idea.

You have to purge before you rack - CO2 is heavier than O2, so the CO2 will tend to sit in the bottom of your next vessel. So, you are racking into a mostly CO2-rich environment. You want this. I place my dry hops into a purged keg, into the canister I use, and then rack on top.
cool. That's what I'm looking for. I've been trying to find some form of SS canister for dry hopping, but haven;t found anything that fits my better bottles. I tried the "tea balls" but they are just a shade too big. Thought about using a kettle screen and just plugging the end and hanging it in the carboy. Of course I could just do what I've been doing and use a bag over my siphon. :) Thanks again for the help.
Corripe Cervisiam