Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chlorinated Water  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Chlorinated Water
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:53 am »
Some of the posts I've read in other forums state that chlorinated water added to the wort is an absolute killer for the taste.

I've done partial boils and added tapwater to the fermenter to get the required volume without noticeable problems. Other people have tasted my brews including one guy that has drank in almost every brewpub in Chicago, IL and no-one has complained.

According to my most recent annual water report, chlorine was listed at 1.47 ppm. So far I've been brewing ales in the spectrum from red ales to stouts.

I'd welcome some discussion on this.

Thanks
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Chlorinated Water
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:29:30 am »
My understanding is that the chlorophenols can be noticeable in beer even when the chlorine is not noticeable in the water used to brew it.  It is so easy to treat the water, so why not?  I use RO and build from there, so no chlorine is in my water.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:51 am »
Some people are more sensitive than others.  I can usually detect it, and when I can, it's a serious fault and I won't want to drink it at all.  Best to play it safe and get it out of there.  All you need is 1/4 Campden tablet per 5 gallons of water, knocks out the chlorine instantly.  It is a worthwhile investment, the $5 or whatever it costs for dang near a lifetime supply of Campden.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:56 am »
I agree with Dave; sensitivity does vary. A few years ago, I was generally pleased with my brews, but felt that "something" wasn't quite right with 'em. I had some of the better tasters and judges in my Club sample them, and was advised to treat for chlorimine (sp?). Tossing a campden tab in my water the evening before brew day solved that problem.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
Chlorophenols take time to develop. If you are burning through batches weeks after you brew then you may be drinking faster than chlorophenols can form.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:45 am »
Chlorophenols take time to develop. If you are burning through batches weeks after you brew then you may be drinking faster than chlorophenols can form.

Interesting.  I seen the opposite experience, where they seem to be in the beer as soon as it's done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »

Interesting.  I seen the opposite experience, where they seem to be in the beer as soon as it's done.

Ditto.  When it's there, it's there, and no amount of aging ever makes it disappear either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »

Ditto.  When it's there, it's there, and no amount of aging ever makes it disappear either.
perhaps the difference between chlorophenols from chlorine in the brewing water v. from infection?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »
I'm very sensitive to it and can't drink a beer with it in it.  That being said... Most people I will tell I detect it if they honestly want to know what I think of their beer... Some people will say they want that honest opinion but through experience you know they don't... so I just lie to them (only happens with a select few individuals).  Then there is the 3rd group where you maybe don't know the people so well and they seem very excited about their beer and you don't want to crush them... and they just gave you the beer to try... not necessarily to evaluate.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 05:59:56 pm »
I suggest you directly ask your municipal water dept. what form of chlorine they use. 

If they use free chlorine (as does my municipal water dept.), it is easily stripped out with a simple charcoal filter.

But if they use chloramine, which is a more stable compound, you should go the campden tablet route.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:01:47 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:27:48 am »

I used to get chlorophenols really bad in my early beers when I was using untreated tap water and chlorine-based cleaners. The chlorophenols would start to get really foul after about a month in the bottle. When I stopped using chlorine-based cleaners (which I probably wasn't rinsing enough) the chlorophenols lessened so it's definitely possible they were there in the beer after the mash but I didn't have the palette at the time to pick them up. It may be the case then that chlorine added after the boil through cleaners takes longer to form because a new phenol source from yeast fermentation is in far less quantities than the malt phenols in the mash.

All I know for sure is once I switched to star-san and using RO water my beers stopped developing chlorophenols.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 10:49:49 am »
You are better off telling them that the flaw is there.  That way they don't keep bringing you flawed beers to try.  You can be a little diplomatic and stretch the truth a little, but turn it into a chance to educate them - "Overall I like your beer though I'm picking up a little bit of a low-level phenolic note.  Can you tell me about what you do to keep chlorine out of your beer?".
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:54:31 am »
A tip I learned on the B&V several years ago has made chlorine removal even easier than using Campden tablets.

Add a half teaspoon of peroxide to 5 gallons of brewing water, swirl it around, and the chlorine is volatilized and gone.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:03:32 am »
A tip I learned on the B&V several years ago has made chlorine removal even easier than using Campden tablets.

Add a half teaspoon of peroxide to 5 gallons of brewing water, swirl it around, and the chlorine is volatilized and gone.

Does that work for chlorimine too, or just chlorine?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:21:57 am »

perhaps the difference between chlorophenols from chlorine in the brewing water v. from infection?
Exactly what I was thinking. I've had chlorophenols from bad keg lines.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958