Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safbrew Abbaye Ale  (Read 32318 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Safbrew Abbaye Ale
« on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:13 am »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:26 am »
It's listed as new on Williams' homepage.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:41 am »
Yes, Fermentis just released it. within the last month or so.

Safbrewâ„¢ Abbaye is the eleventh yeast strain specifically selected for beer.

This new strain will allow fast Fermentation, very high attenuation, high alcohol content (up to 11 % v/v) with subtle aroma and a well-balanced profile.

With Safbrew Abbaye, brewers will be able to brew refreshing session beers and stronger Abbaye styles and IPAs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:54 am »
I'm kinda worried about the description saying Belgian styles and IIPA.  Does that mean Belgian beers with a "Belgian profile" or IIPA that tastes Belgian?  They seem to be more concerned with alcohol tolerance than anything else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:46 am »
I'm kinda worried about the description saying Belgian styles and IIPA.  Does that mean Belgian beers with a "Belgian profile" or IIPA that tastes Belgian?  They seem to be more concerned with alcohol tolerance than anything else.
I thought that seemed obvious with this whole Belgian IPA trend going on right now...
Jesse

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »
My thought exactly. I also thought maybe it is something similar to the Rochefort strain which is lower on esters and phenols compared to other Belgian strains.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:20 pm »
My thought exactly. I also thought maybe it is something similar to the Rochefort strain which is lower on esters and phenols compared to other Belgian strains.

Rochefort?  As in WY1762?    Never struck me as being particularly low on esters.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:43:44 pm »
Personally, I love Belgian beers and IPAs, but not the hybrid of the two. Seems like a weird way to advertise a new Abbey strain.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:18 pm »

Rochefort?  As in WY1762?    Never struck me as being particularly low on esters.

+1. 
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:30 pm »

I get a lot of plummy esters in big Belgian Darks, but I don't get anywhere near as much banana as other Belgian strains with WY1762. Wyeast does bill it as a relatively clean Belgian strain, and I can say it makes a great English BW.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 02:29:22 pm »
Here is the spec sheet, it lists total esters at 20 ppm (at 18 degress Plato at 20 degrees Celcius in EBC tubes):

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/pdfs/y24.pdf

Tthe fact sheet for US-05 lists total esters at 40 ppm:

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 02:30:15 pm »

Not particularly low, but lower than others like WY1214 and WY3787 is what I meant. Of course, fermentation temps play a large role in ester production as well.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 02:31:31 pm »
Not particularly low, but lower than others like WY1214 and WY3787 is what I meant. Of course, fermentation temps play a large role in ester production as well.

Lower than 1214, definitely.  But I don't know if I could say lower than 3787.  Given I ferment 3787 in the low 60s, though.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:35:34 pm »
Here is the spec sheet, it lists total esters at 20 ppm (at 18 degress Plato at 20 degrees Celcius in EBC tubes):

If that means that US 05 has twice the amount of esters, then I don't understand why it is called an Abbey style yeast.
Dan Chisholm

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:14:45 pm »

If that means that US 05 has twice the amount of esters, then I don't understand why it is called an Abbey style yeast.

I don't know how much weight I would really give those specs.  Rolling all esters up into one ppm number seems misleading.  I just thought it was interesting.

Hopefully someone will give this yeast a try and report back.