Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg secondary fermentation?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
Keg secondary fermentation?
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »
Hello Brewers !

I am doing a Two Hearted clone  for about the fourth time & really enjoying the results.

My first batch came out with an ABV of about 6.2% which was right on the money  and also was wonderfully clear.  In my first batch I did secondary fermentation in the bottle for the alcohol content and also to the clarity.  Subsequent batches I have not done secondary so they obviously reached lower and is it been a little bit cloudy.

I'm wondering if I can do secondary in the keg?  I have already crash cooled.

Could I now do a secondary fermentation by adding sugar In the keg  and warming back to room temperature?   Would I do this with or without carbon dioxide layer?  What's the best sugar type to add and what's the dosage ? 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Keg secondary fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:14:07 pm »
First, make sure the beer is done, unless you intend to have the carbonation uncertain.  Check into fast ferment on these threads.  Generally, about 3-4 ozs in a keg (with a CO2 infusion as a "cap") will work, but it depends on how far your beer has attenuated and how many volumes you want for the style of beer.  With CO2 available, why not just keg and carb with CO2?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"