Author Topic: Safbrew Abbaye Ale  (Read 25517 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »
Reportin' for duty.

Bee Barf Brown was racked to secondary yesterday, roughly three weeks after pitching with Fermentis/Safbrew Abbaye.

While the smell was definitely off-putting during week 1, things improved vastly later on. Two weeks at 75F, and another week ramping down and steadied at 40F made for a very clear beer, with a yeastiness which is certainly nothing like the horror stories I've been hearing about this yeast. The beer's still green, but the honey played through nicely, with some malts kicking in in the back. El Dorado doing something almondy-biscotti-ish which somehow works kinda well.
Through it all, an subtle estery yeast presence amalgamates the lot into something which I suppose could be called borderline Belgian if one were so inclined.

Is it an abbaye yeast? Nah. Perhaps if used in a really warm fermentation, it might bump those typical esters, but no way this will turn into a Belgian Banana Bomb without some severe tweaking.

Apparent attentuation would be around 85% for me. Lively, happy yeast which never stalled, but took its own sweet time to complete primary.

Firm, dense cake which made racking super smooth; I'd say this is the first yeast I've tried since I started using my fermentation fridge which I could see myself even skipping secondary and bottle directly from primary. Something I'll keep in mind when I want to brew something that doesn't need extra lagering.

I'd use it again for a dubbel or a brown. Perhaps, for funz&lolz, I might blend it with some other yeast to complement or boost its subdued esters.

Overall, despite initial misgivings and its misleading marketing as an abbaye yeast, I'd use this again.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:25:43 AM by unclebrazzie »
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2015, 01:31:11 AM »
Reportin' for duty.

Bee Barf Brown was racked to secondary yesterday, roughly three weeks after pitching onto Fermentis/Safbrew Abbaye.

While the smell was definitely off-putting during week 1, things improved vastly later on. Two weeks at 75F, and another week ramping down and steadied at 40F made for a very clear beer, with a yeastiness which is certainly nothing like the horror stories I've been hearing about this yeast. The beer's still green, but the honey played through nicely, with some malts kicking in in the back. El Dorado doing something almondy-biscotti-ish which somehow works kinda well.
Through it all, an subtle estery yeast presence amalgamates the lot into something which I suppose could be called borderline Belgian if one were so inclined.

Is it an abbaye yeast? Nah. Perhaps if used in a really warm fermentation, it might bump those typical esters, but no way this will turn into a Belgian Banana Bomb without some severe tweaking.

Apparent attentuation would be around 85% for me. Lively, happy yeast which never stalled, but took its own sweet time to complete primary.

Firm, dense cake which made racking super smooth; I'd say this is the first yeast I've tried since I started using my fermentation fridge which I could see myself even skipping secondary and bottle directly from primary. Something I'll keep in mind when I want to brew something that doesn't need extra lagering.

I'd use it again for a dubbel or a brown. Perhaps, for funz&lolz, I might blend it with some other yeast to complement or boost its subdued esters.

Overall, despite initial misgivings and its misleading marketing as an abbaye yeast, I'd use this again.

Thanks, Uncle!

Well, mine is a month old now, and it still stinks. Not as much as it did at first, but there is still too much sulfur in the nose. With that said, It tastes pretty good. Mine is a Leffe clone, and it has many of the attributes of Leffe, taste-wise that is, but it is hard to get past the aroma. And that's really the only problem I have with it so far. So, I will give it a couple/few more weeks and report back. I can only hope to end up as satisfied as you.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
Updates galore.
I wanted to bottle my Bee Barf Brown tonight, but it seems the pellicle fairy paid us a visit.

Nice clean pellicle on top so not bottling for another few weeks/months yet.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
mine is still lagering. I should have a taste and report back.
Frank C.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Taste was okay here. Mild biscotti/marzipan/almond flavour. Honey very much subdued, almost unnoticable.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »
Taste was okay here. Mild biscotti/marzipan/almond flavour. Honey very much subdued, almost unnoticable.

Okay, so I had a taste, and the sulphur aroma is mostly gone. It has been replaced with a woodsy, grapevine aroma that is pleasant but unusual, not at all Belgian or abbey-like. The flavor is very good. It's on the dry side and malty clean with a hint of pepper, which is decidedly Belgian. It finishes with just a touch of fruit that is maybe grape or pear, not at all unpleasant.

I like the beer overall, but like I've heard others say, it's just different. Maybe it's a little Belgian and maybe it isn't. I think I'd use it again and maybe ferment warmer to try to draw out the Belgian-ness. Maybe I'd use it in a Belgian strong, either dark or golden. Lots of maybes with this one.

Has anybody tried the Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast? Is that any better? Worse?

It would be great to have a dry Belgian yeast! I'm not sure the Safebrew Abbaye is it, though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:29:46 PM by Frankenbrew »
Frank C.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
...a woodsy, grapevine aroma that is pleasant but unusual, not at all Belgian or abbey-like... It finishes with just a touch of fruit that is maybe grape or pear, not at all unpleasant.

Based on this description, this sounds almost more like an English ale yeast than a Belgian.  Strange.

There is a great dry Belgian yeast... Belle Saison!  I've been thinking about how I might try to make this yeast work in beers other than saison, to kick the gravity up a bit.  Might require lactose or something to bring the body back up, since it tends to finish around 1.002-1.003 no matter what.  But it certainly tastes very Belgiany!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
Yes, I've wondered the same thing about the Belle Saison yeast. I've used it and liked it, and, like you say, it does taste Belgiany. Good idea about using non-fermentables to increase the body. You've got me thinking.
Frank C.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
I am diving in on this one.  I am brewing a Belgium Pale Ale tomorrow and will use the SafBrew Abbaye yeast.  If it does turn out more like an English Ale yeast then I'll just call it a Pale Ale.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:12:06 PM by BrewBama »
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
Yes, I've wondered the same thing about the Belle Saison yeast. I've used it and liked it, and, like you say, it does taste Belgiany. Good idea about using non-fermentables to increase the body. You've got me thinking.

I have been wondering about the Belgian rep I keep hearing in context with Belle Saison and never got it. Until this weekend, when I had a bottle of my own MarisOtter-Summer-BelleSaison SMaSH which had just passed the one-year mark. Hops were all gone, but the unappetising flavours I've come to associate with BelleSaison had now evolved into something which, smelled and tasted, for want of a better word, Belgian. Not as in " Belgian Abbey beer" but more like "Belgian non-banana yeasty beer".

It reaffirms my understanding of saison as a beer which is, per definition, aged extensively.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »
I am diving in on this one.  I am brewing a Belgium Pale Ale tomorrow and will use the SafBrew Abbaye yeast.  If it does turn out more like an English Ale yeast then I'll just call it a Pale Ale.  LOL

Do you have any updates on this one Bama? I am hoping to get another opinion on this yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: Hoppy Amber Lager, IPA, Red Rye, Spiced English Porter

Fermenting: yellow
Up Next: imperial pils, IPA

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »
I'm drinking mine as I type. It's really nice now, dry, peppery, with a light body. But, it took four months to get this way. I like it very much, now. So, I think as long as you are not in a hurry for the beer, the Abbaye yeast is okay. But at this point, I don't know what the advantage over the liquid Belgians might be. Sure, dry yeast is great for its ease of use, but that's a long time to wait for a medium sized beer to age out. So, not sure that I recommend it or not.

I've got the Fermentis Abbaye yeast on order, and will let you all know how that works out. I hope it is better than the Safebrew because I love dry yeast and would like to have a Belgian dry yeast alternative--I know the Belle Saison is good, but I like me an abbey ale or a patersbier as well as a saison.
Frank C.

Offline rharper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
I've got the Fermentis Abbaye yeast on order, and will let you all know how that works out. I hope it is better than the Safebrew because I love dry yeast and would like to have a Belgian dry yeast alternative

Um, isnt Safbrew the Fermentis brand?  ???

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:21 PM »
I've got the Fermentis Abbaye yeast on order, and will let you all know how that works out. I hope it is better than the Safebrew because I love dry yeast and would like to have a Belgian dry yeast alternative

Yes, you're right! I mean the Lallemand.
Frank C.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »

Crap, apparently I have different profiles for my Forum ID, and my AHA membership? WTF did I do... :(