Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blast from the past...bringing back Ballantine IPA  (Read 5431 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Blast from the past...bringing back Ballantine IPA
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:22 am »
I don't get bringing back a label with a new recipe. Didn't Schlitz just switch back to the old recipe to a warm reception?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:54 am »
It's hard to believe that no one thought to, at least, keep a copy of the original recipe.  Talk about competition blindness.

Another beer it would be fun to bring back is the original Falstaff.  That was my Dad's go to beer when I was a kid.  The beer was really quite good and the puzzles in the bottle caps kept everyone busy.  We had a 5 gallon bucket full of caps in the garage that kept us entertained while BBQing.  For those who don't know, each cap a pictogram series printed under the clear seal that you could decipher into a phrase.  Things like "A bird in the hand is better than two the bush".  There weren't very many repeats for a long, long time.

Has anyone seen a recipe for Falstaff?  My brothers would get a kick out of it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:49 am »
I have a recipe for 1973 Schlitz, hand written by the brewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
In case you folks dont know what a hipster is, its an Emo with a bald spot.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:33:08 am »
...puzzles in the bottle caps kept everyone busy.  We had a 5 gallon bucket full of caps in the garage that kept us entertained while BBQing.  For those who don't know, each cap a pictogram series printed under the clear seal that you could decipher into a phrase.  Things like "A bird in the hand is better than two the bush".  There weren't very many repeats for a long, long time.

Lone Star does this. Basically Texas PBR and owned by Pabst. Mickey's Grenades do/did, haven't had one in 10 or so years.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:39:54 am »

Other than the skinny jeans, I'd say this is false. Hipsters are basically sheep that like to say they did something cool before everybody else. Look for fixed gear bikes, Polaroid camera's, typewriters, beards, plastic rim glasses (which I have worn for 15 years, yes that make me sound hipster), listen to everything on vinyl or cassette tape, plaid shirts, work at coffee shops or used bookstores, drink lots of PBR of course (or Coors Banquet and Lone Star), and vintage cocktails.

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:09 am »

Cool!

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:43:10 am »

Other than the skinny jeans, I'd say this is false. Hipsters are basically sheep that like to say they did something cool before everybody else. Look for fixed gear bikes, Polaroid camera's, typewriters, beards, plastic rim glasses (which I have worn for 15 years, yes that make me sound hipster), listen to everything on vinyl or cassette tape, plaid shirts, work at coffee shops or used bookstores, drink lots of PBR of course (or Coors Banquet and Lone Star), and vintage cocktails.

So my nerdy teenage years?  Of course back then that was just how everyone lived.  Without the beards.  I still can't grow a decent beard.  Maybe when I'm 65 I will be able to play Santa.   ;)

Paul

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:16:18 pm »

Awesome!

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. But ive found that if you look at a hipster's high school yearbook, you'll often see that he was an Emo, with a skateboard and listening to the Misfits on his walkman. He grew up to be a hipster driving an 86 volvo and hanging out at the farmer's market selling cambucha

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:21:11 pm »
Possibly true. One thing is certain, you must be an adult to be hipster. If you're under 18 and living off of you're parents, you're simply a teenager.

Edit - Corrected crap grammar.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:27:38 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »

Cool!

+2.  Very,very cool. Drank plenty of that stuff in my youth.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »
Possibly true. One thing is certain, you must be an adult to be hipster. If you're under 18 and living off of you're parents, you're simply a teenager.

+1.  I think you pretty much nailed the whole concept there.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 07:03:03 am »
drink lots of PBR of course (or Coors Banquet and Lone Star), and vintage cocktails.

I drink a little PBR and appreciate vintage cocktails. Of course I only drink PBR when their ain't nothing else available and only drink vintage cocktails when they don't have a Bourbon I would appreciate more. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:46:17 am »
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. But ive found that if you look at a hipster's high school yearbook, you'll often see that he was an Emo, with a skateboard and listening to the Misfits on his walkman. He grew up to be a hipster driving an 86 volvo and hanging out at the farmer's market selling cambucha

That's a bit of an anachronism there. There was no such thing as Emo back when walkmans existed. And Emo kids probably have no clue who Glenn Danzig is. If you said "dress like the Misfits and listening to Jimmy Eat World on their iPod", then you're on to something.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer