Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Farnum Hill "Dooryard" cider (Batch 1502)  (Read 1390 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Farnum Hill "Dooryard" cider (Batch 1502)
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:48:48 pm »
It's not often that I have a cider that really blows me away the way a top-notch beer does, but this cider is quite remarkable. Farnum Hill makes some great ciders, but this batch of Dooryard is a standout, even for them.

What really stands out with this cider for me, is that for all the complexity the apple character is always at the forefront. A big turnoff for a lot of dry ciders I've tried is that they seem more like a dry wine first, without much apple behind it. This is definitely apple-first and something I want to put down in quantity

The nose is clean apple, with bright citrus and background notes of pear and floral aromas. On the palate, you get off-dry sweetness with moderate tannins and bright acidity. The acidity is clean citrus, yet soft, and well-balanced by tannin. It almost reminds me of a softer gueuze, minus the funk.

The apple flavor never disappears from beginning to end, with notes of lemonade, passionfruit and SweetTarts coming in and out. The body is fairly thin, but the tannins and prickly carbonation keep it from being watery. The finish is drying, with lingering acidity and apple skin.

I think this batch is in pretty short supply, but if you see this in a NH state liquor store I would snap it up right away. Great stuff!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Farnum Hill "Dooryard" cider (Batch 1502)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:55:44 am »
I agree that in general, Farnum Hill makes some really great ciders.  I wish they sold this stuff around here.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to make my own at home!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 07:37:07 am »
Eric, is it only sold in NH?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:10:50 am »
Eric, is it only sold in NH?
I've only ever seen it in the state liquor/wine outlets up there. I'm not sure if they distribute out of state.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
Some Dooryard makes it out into distribution. Others are very small batches I believe.

There should be batch notes on their site, but I can't seem to access it right now