Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blast from the past...bringing back Ballantine IPA  (Read 5432 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Blast from the past...bringing back Ballantine IPA
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:08 am »
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. But ive found that if you look at a hipster's high school yearbook, you'll often see that he was an Emo, with a skateboard and listening to the Misfits on his walkman. He grew up to be a hipster driving an 86 volvo and hanging out at the farmer's market selling cambucha

That's a bit of an anachronism there. There was no such thing as Emo back when walkmans existed. And Emo kids probably have no clue who Glenn Danzig is. If you said "dress like the Misfits and listening to Jimmy Eat World on their iPod", then you're on to something.

Ya, generally speaking,  you're right. But you're missing the point of the Emo with latent Hipster tendancies (seaks out old technology) and when the Emo thing wears off at about age 21, they evolve to Hipster.

The person im describing is due back from an immersion language trip to Japan. He's random and quirky but also a genius and im very proud of him.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 04:19:02 pm »
Another beer it would be fun to bring back is the original Falstaff. 

Falstaff is the company that originally purchased the Ballantine label.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »
I'm guardedly excited....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/08/13/pabst-to-bring-back-ballantine-ipa/14013995/

The original product was dry hopped with Bullion hop oil.   All of the wooden fermentation and storage vessels were lined with pitch to prevent the beer from coming into contact with the wood. 

Brewery Worker Skimming a Pitch-Lined Fermentation Vessel at the Ballantine Ale Brewery

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:18 pm »
I'm guardedly hopeful about the Ballantine. Hopefully it bears some resemblance to the original. We'll see.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:50 pm »
I'm guardedly excited....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/08/13/pabst-to-bring-back-ballantine-ipa/14013995/

The original product was dry hopped with Bullion hop oil.   All of the wooden fermentation and storage vessels were lined with pitch to prevent the beer from coming into contact with the wood. 

Brewery Worker Skimming a Pitch-Lined Fermentation Vessel at the Ballantine Ale Brewery

They were lined with mammut.

Brewed a clone using Bullion, Cluster, and EKG. Everyone at the club meeting asked about how much oak was used. The beer never touched wood. It had to be woody flavors from the Bullion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »
We need the Professor to chime in here.

Tried a Ballantine XXX clone a while back with no success.  IIRC, East Coast Yeast has the original yeast.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »
We need the Professor to chime in here.
Tried a Ballantine XXX clone a while back with no success.  IIRC, East Coast Yeast has the original yeast.

You can be assured that I've been following this story quite closely. It sounds as though they are really trying to come up with a credible re-creatiion of this great old product  and you can bet that I'll be anxiously seeking it out in the coming week when it starts to show up here locally.  I do indeed have a vivid recollection of the original product (including tasting notes dating back to the mid/late 1970s).  Recreating as a homebrew it has been my own quest since the 80s.

From reports I've read, it looks like the current recipe is a lot more complicated than the original likely was, and that  they are most probably  foregoing the long aging that the original product had (and which is a pretty important aspect of the brew they are looking to resurrect, and of the IPA style in general) but it still has the potential for being maybe a bit better than a lot of the so-called  IPAs that seem to get rushed out these days.

I'll keep an open mind.  Denny's characterization of it as being "guardedly excited" is pretty much how I feel, knowing that that given some of the shortcuts being used they certainly won't replicate the old classic exactly.  But if they manage to come even close, they may have a winner on their hands.  Even if it's really good, they'll  need to overcome the almost guaranteed dissing by  the brainwashed  übersnobs who will dismiss it out of hand (probably without even bothering to taste it) just because a big corporation is behind it (ignoring the reality that some small avalanche of new breweries are releasing their own share of some less than stellar product these days).
We'll see.  I'll post my (unbiased) impressions as soon as I get to try a few bottles.

Meantime, , here's a link to a pretty good (and even encouraging)  radio interview with the new product's brewmaster:
http://www.wilknewsradio.com/Friday-Beer-Buzz-Blog/6986026

I just noticed that there's a punctuation typo on the new product's label  (there shouldn't be an apostrophe where it says 70 IBUs!).
I guess Pabst wasn't budgeted for a proofreader.   :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:21:38 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »
From a homebrew standpoint, are the "clone" recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA not very close? I have never tasted the original, but do remember my father drinking it so I could have the can in my collection. I have been planning on brewing up his No. 1 recipe, but if it's not even good enough for a production brewery, should I bother? Who has tried the original and also attempted this clone? As I said, never had the original, so I'm just looking to brew a great recipe. If it's not, please let me know

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 07:16:28 pm »
From a homebrew standpoint, are the "clone" recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA not very close? I have never tasted the original, but do remember my father drinking it so I could have the can in my collection. ...

It is probably worth noting that Ballantine's IPA was never released in cans.  Your dad probably drank Ballantine XXX, which was also a very good and worthy brew in it's day.
After the mid 1980s or so, not so much.   :-[
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, it has been a while since I collected cans. Been out of my folks' house since 1989 when I was 19 or so. Can collection was gone for a couple years by then. I hope he enjoyed the XXX as much as I'm interested in trying to clone one of their beers at the home brew level. Again, are the recipes that Steele published any good, or close to old school Ballantine?

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 08:30:11 pm »
From a homebrew standpoint, are the "clone" recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA not very close? I have never tasted the original, but do remember my father drinking it so I could have the can in my collection. I have been planning on brewing up his No. 1 recipe, but if it's not even good enough for a production brewery, should I bother? Who has tried the original and also attempted this clone? As I said, never had the original, so I'm just looking to brew a great recipe. If it's not, please let me know

I can post what I have done tomorrow night. It was based on a Jeff Renner recipe.

When I get home a keg will get pushed through a hop rocket full of Brewers Gold. It won't be extract, but the vegative mater will not be in contact with the beer for long.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:26 pm »
Just saw this post on Mitch Steele's blog. His description of the prototype sample he got to try is extremely encouraging. It was supposedly coming out in September - has anyone come across it yet?

http://hoptripper.com/the-return-of-ballantine-ipa/
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:05 am »
I'm looking forward to finding it when it comes out. Pretty interesting.
Jon H.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:38 am »
My wife called me to ask if I knew Ballantine made an IPA. I didn’t realize it was out already. She picked up a couple of bombers for us(and some Dirt Wolf). She rocks.  I was excited to try it and it wasn’t a disappointment.  I never had the original so I cant really compare it to anything but for me it was a refreshing break from the overhopped dozen of ipas you can find at any store now.  It has a great balance of citrusy earthy goodness with a nice oak flavor.  Both of us really enjoyed it. I wound up picking up a six pack the other night and I will definitely buy it again. Better on the warmer side than the  colder. I’m looking forward to hearing some of the Ballantine IPA experts opinions on this one.  If this is close to what the original was like, Ballantine was way ahead of their time.
Mark

Offline 69franx

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »
Hey bringing this back to the future because I just found a 6 pack. Does anyone know how these bottles are date stamped?  My 6 has (I think) 6/?/15 stamped on it. If that is a best by date I'll truly wish I hadn't spent $12 on it, but if that's a born on date, I can live with it. First time I've seen it in my travels around SE Indiana,  N KY, and SW Ohio. It was the only 6er left and it is warm so I guess my hopes are not too high. I let the clerk at the bottle shop know that I would be very interested if they were to get more in stock. Won't likely be drinking this till the end of the month, will report back then
Frank L.