Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: forgot to prime???  (Read 3092 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
forgot to prime???
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
Just sampled a Summit saga clone i bottled on 7/20. Taste is spot on however flat as a pancake. I cant imagine I forgot to prime which I always do with two cups water and 5oz corn sugar on the stove top. Could it be something else? Like I said taste is spot on its just flat no carb at all.
Thanks, still learning,
Jimmykx250
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: forgot to prime???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:09:20 am »
Are the bottles sealed well? Did you fine the beer before bottling? Very long fermentation?

Otherwise, it might just take some time. 3-4 weeks should give off a pfft at minimum.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:10 am »
How do you mix the sugar into the beer before bottling?

it's possible you didn't mix it well enough and there will be flat bottles and way way over carbed bottles. try a couple bottles from different places in the run and see if the problem is universal or spotty.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:39 am »
^^^^
Yes, this too.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:46 am »
How do you mix the sugar into the beer before bottling?

it's possible you didn't mix it well enough and there will be flat bottles and way way over carbed bottles. try a couple bottles from different places in the run and see if the problem is universal or spotty.

I normally mix 2 cup swater and 5oz corn sugar boil for 10min and cool dump it into the bottom of the botteling bucket an then rack on top of it. Im sure bottles are sealed well but not sure what finning means? I let this batch sit in the fermenter for 3-1/2 weeks and the hydrometer was steady for 3 days so im good there.
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:17:43 am »
Finning is using something to drop the yeast out. Gelatin, isinglass, and BioFine clear are few examples.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:57 am »
what temp has it been conditioning at since bottling?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:28:54 am »

That was my thought.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:57:57 am »

IT has been between 68 and 72.
Jimmykx250

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
I know this sounds like alot of work but worse case scnario and they are all flat- can I dose them and re-cap?
Say maybee with prime dose or something? I would rather do that work than drink it flat or toss it.
Jimmykx250

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:41 am »

IT has been between 68 and 72.

try warming things up a bit. If you have a spot where it's more in the mid to high 70's or even low 80's stash the bottles there for a week and see what you get.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:06 am »
I know this sounds like alot of work but worse case scnario and they are all flat- can I dose them and re-cap?
Say maybee with prime dose or something? I would rather do that work than drink it flat or toss it.

you can. I've not used any of the pre-measured priming tabs but you could try them. I mix up a syrup of known gravity (sugar and water by weight) so that say .5 tsp is how much one 12 oz bottle needs when I am doing just a couple bottles. This should work here too. Ideally you would have a syringe with measurement marks. pop each cap, add sugar, recap and turn gently to distribute sugar and yeast.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:49 am »

you can. I've not used any of the pre-measured priming tabs but you could try them. I mix up a syrup of known gravity (sugar and water by weight) so that say .5 tsp is how much one 12 oz bottle needs when I am doing just a couple bottles. This should work here too. Ideally you would have a syringe with measurement marks. pop each cap, add sugar, recap and turn gently to distribute sugar and yeast.

Thank Ill try the warm spot and see what happens.
Jimmykx250

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 11:06:52 am »

+1 - I use the Coopers carb drops all the time to prime my 1-gallon batches. I have also used my gram scale to weigh out priming sugar on a dose-by-dose basis, but I like Jonathan's idea about making a syrup better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:51 am »
I have been using the syrup method lately. Can't remember what the amount of syrup was, but I basically mixed 1oz sugar with 1oz water. Heated in the microwave and dosed each bottle with a pipette. Worked much better than trying to pour sugar straight in.
I would use the carbdrops, but I feel silly buying them. Little expensive for what they are.