General Category > Kegging and Bottling

air stone

(1/2) > >>

pashusa:
the guy that wrote "Joy of Brewing" said you could put a airstone in your keg on the gas in to help carb your beer faster. Has anyone tried this?

Matt B:
Nope. 40 PSI for 12 hours usually does it for me. or if I'm in a real rush, 40 PSI and give the keg a good shake every half hour. much more than 40 PSI makes me nervous, and my beer usually isn't that cold in anything less than 12 hours anyway.

dbeechum:
I tried, but it's tricky cause the right way to do it is with an airstone and a slow release mechanism for quick carbonation. (aka crack the vessel open slightly and apply the correct CO2 level for an hour as the gas bubbles through the beer.)

For me, I just look up my pressure on a chart, hook it to the keg and roll it back in forth for 10-15 minutes or until the gas stops hissing. It takes more time, but I get more precise that way than the old slam and shake.

pashusa:
When I read it I though it seemed like a lot of fuss for little benifit.I like the set it and forget it, or the rolling method if I'm short on time, I think.

zee:

--- Quote from: dbeechum on November 10, 2009, 06:00:07 PM ---I tried, but it's tricky cause the right way to do it is with an airstone and a slow release mechanism for quick carbonation. (aka crack the vessel open slightly and apply the correct CO2 level for an hour as the gas bubbles through the beer.)

For me, I just look up my pressure on a chart, hook it to the keg and roll it back in forth for 10-15 minutes or until the gas stops hissing. It takes more time, but I get more precise that way than the old slam and shake.

--- End quote ---

i tried the shake and pray method this summer. set my co2 pressure and started rolling the keg around the basement. did this until it stopped hissing. put it in the fridge for about an hour and then rolled on the floor again until it stopped hissing. brought to a party and dispensed flat beer.

maybe i didn't pray enough or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version