Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cooler adaption  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
cooler adaption
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »
I'm thinking about upgrading to an Igloo cooler mashtun, but the already made ones are a bit more than I want to spend. I see some HBSs sell the weldless spigots that can be used to convert a plain cooler. Is this as easy as it seems, and easy or not does it work okay?   
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: cooler adaption
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:22:52 pm »
We've got a video on how to make Denny Conn's "Cheap 'n' Easy" cooler mashtun set up on the AHA website: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/advanced/videos/. Click on How To Build A Mashtun.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »
We've got a video on how to make Denny Conn's "Cheap 'n' Easy" cooler mashtun set up on the AHA website: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/advanced/videos/. Click on How To Build A Mashtun.
I don't have the time right now, but I will check it out. Thanks.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:55:23 pm »
Bargainfittings.com for the parts needed.

Effort will vary by the cooler. I recommend picking the cooler first so you can examine it and determine what needs to be done in the conversion.

Denny's hose braid setup is awesome as well. I have a 50L tun using his method, and a 70L tun using a bulk head.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:26 am »
I'm thinking about upgrading to an Igloo cooler mashtun, but the already made ones are a bit more than I want to spend. I see some HBSs sell the weldless spigots that can be used to convert a plain cooler. Is this as easy as it seems, and easy or not does it work okay?

Steve, check out www.dennybrew.com for step by step
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:59:21 am »

super easy-that's how i built my two. 10 gal igloo, unscrewed existing spigot, installed weldless spigot from bargain fittings, and hooked up the braid. i since converted from braid to copper manifold i built...also very easy and cheap.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:01:07 pm »
It is easy to put together a spigot. All I had to do though with the coleman extreme was push about 10" of 1/2" OD 3/8" ID tubing through the drain and it fits snugly. I was then able to attach a braid inside the cooler and a ball valve on the other. Doesn't leak especially with the weight of the mash pushing against it.

Just another option for keeping it simple, cheap and easy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:37 pm »

Steve, check out www.dennybrew.com for step by step
Thanks Denny,
I cut and pasted the instructions into a doc to study later.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
It looks like making one wouldn't be very hard for anyone who is mildly mechanically inclined. I'm kind of hesitant, since all my life I've been mechanically declined.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:53:22 am »
It looks like making one wouldn't be very hard for anyone who is mildly mechanically inclined. I'm kind of hesitant, since all my life I've been mechanically declined.

I am the least handy person in the world.  In addition, I hate building equipment and would rather use that time to brew.  That's why I came up with that design.  475 batches in, I still haven't changed it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell