Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Malts  (Read 6540 times)

musseldoc

Briess Malts
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:56:44 pm »
I am getting ready to make a bulk order (6-8 sacks) through my LHBS and need some advice.  I have alway been told if you want your beer to taste like its region of origin, you have to buy malts from that region (e.g., buy German malts to make a German lager).  However, the bulk price for Briess (my LHBS only buys through LD Carlson) malts is about 40% cheaper than Weyermann, Crisp, Dingemans, etc.  I know that Briess makes a Pils, Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich and mild malt, but obviously they are American grains and not European.  Have any of you had success making European styles taste authentic with American (Briess) malts?  Please, this is not a troll thread; I am not interested in bashing any one company.  I can save money by buying American (Briess) malts; however, it may not be worth it though if they taste off with German, British, and/or Belgians beer styles.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:36:56 pm by musseldoc »

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: Briess Malts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:44:11 pm »
Definitely worth it to use continental malts for continental beers. You ever notice how many U.S. breweries produce Bavarian-style beers that are good but just don't taste quite like authentic examples?  That's Briess 2-row in place of continental Pilsner malt.

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:20:37 pm »
Check out the Avangard malts. They're a german maltster and is usually around the same cost as briess, sometimes less. And is far superior. LD just recently started carrying them.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »
Check out the Avangard malts. They're a german maltster and is usually around the same cost as briess, sometimes less. And is far superior. LD just recently started carrying them.

+1 to Avangard. I made an excellent Pils with it earlier this year.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »
I tried many moons ago to save money by using Briess malt for a base malt in German, Belgian, and English  beers. Let me tell you that it was not worth it and the difference is noticable. They just were not nearly as good. Using malt from the country of origin for the style that you're after is probably one of the most important flavor components that distinguishes the beer.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
I tried many moons ago to save money by using Briess malt for a base malt in German, Belgian, and English  beers. Let me tell you that it was not worth it and the difference is noticable. They just were not nearly as good. Using malt from the country of origin for the style that you're after is probably one of the most important flavor components that distinguishes the beer.

+1.  Totally agree. The right tool for the right job.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »

+1 to Avangard. I made an excellent Pils with it earlier this year.
+2 I'm on my second bag of Avangard and I like it a lot. I'm enjoying my German Pils right now and I have a Marzen in the fermenter.
Dan Chisholm

musseldoc

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 07:23:58 am »
Thanks everyone.  What about the Briess pale ale malt (3.5luv) compared with Crisp Marris Otter?  Are they interchangeable?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 07:31:57 am »
Briess pale ale is intended to be Maris otter like. If you are concerned about price, check for muntons mo.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 07:48:49 am »
Thanks everyone.  What about the Briess pale ale malt (3.5luv) compared with Crisp Marris Otter?  Are they interchangeable?

Briess pale is actually a very nice malt but it tastes completely different than a good floor malted maris otter such as Thomas Faucett or Crisp. Think "english biscuit" - (they are kind of like a cross between cookies and crackers, not our American biscuit) and that is more the flavor you will get with a good MO. The Briess has an almost "sweet" cookie-like flavor. Nice malt, but doesn't taste like a floor malted MO.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 08:00:31 am »
These guys beat me to it... Definitely look in to Avangard. The price is right and is a quality malt.
Frank

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:17 am »
By the same token, Briess 2-row is my preferred base malt for American ales (Pale, Amber, Blonde, etc.) because that's what American breweries use for these beers. If I use Rahr or some other base malt, they tend not to taste quite right.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:13 am »

IMO, ANY malt is better than Briess.  Outside of a couple of their crystals and their rye malt, I have yet to find a Briess malt I like.  If you can't afford to get continental malts, at least get a domestic malt other than Briess.  I find both Rahr and Great western to be excellent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
By the same token, Briess 2-row is my preferred base malt for American ales (Pale, Amber, Blonde, etc.) because that's what American breweries use for these beers. If I use Rahr or some other base malt, they tend not to taste quite right.

Maybe American breweries where you are.  Not around here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:45:30 am »

IMO, ANY malt is better than Briess.  Outside of a couple of their crystals and their rye malt, I have yet to find a Briess malt I like.  If you can't afford to get continental malts, at least get a domestic malt other than Briess.  I find both Rahr and Great western to be excellent.
Denny, this is great info to get from an experienced brewer. I have only purchased Briess 2 row, because that is what was easily available. I will seek out rahr for my next 2 row purchase to check out the difference myself. Thanks for your insight
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)