Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keggerator question  (Read 2829 times)

Offline sdfern4

• 1st Kit
Keggerator question
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »
Has Zymurgy don any articles on keggerators?  either a how to? kezzer vs keggerator ? or a here what to look for/ look out for?

I'm looking to buy one and wanted some background.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
Re: Keggerator question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:56:46 am »
Not sure about the answer to your question but that being said I have a 8.8 cu ft keezer and i love it :)

There are lots of forums including this one that you can use to find resources to build your own. Typically people go with a keezer options if they will be serving a whole bunch of kegs at the same time. Mine for instance has 4 taps, and fits two additional kegs for carbonating while im drinking from the other 4.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:20:45 am »
The Jan/Feb 2013 Gadgets issue had an article called "Constructing a Keezer".
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:12 am »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:20:12 am »
A chest freezer with temp controller is really a lot more practical than an upright fridge if you have the space. It's more efficient because cold air does pour out when you open the lid unlike a fridge door. You also have the option of a collar with taps through it, or a counter top and tower but it seems more people prefer the collar for practical purposes.
Go as big as you can afford / fit. I have a 14.8 cu ft which holds 8x 5 gal + 2x 3 gal on the compressor hump. I can also fit 2x half barrel sankeys if needed.  Think that you can cold store / cold crash / lager etc in the same keggerator so add space for that too.
And buy Perlicks. They are more expensive than regular faucets but its worth it. If you save money and buy the cheaper rear seal taps, you WILL end up wanting to change them out, so do it right the first time.

Here's mine

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:58:52 pm »
A chest freezer with temp controller is really a lot more practical than an upright fridge if you have the space. It's more efficient because cold air does pour out when you open the lid unlike a fridge door. You also have the option of a collar with taps through it, or a counter top and tower but it seems more people prefer the collar for practical purposes.
Go as big as you can afford / fit. I have a 14.8 cu ft which holds 8x 5 gal + 2x 3 gal on the compressor hump. I can also fit 2x half barrel sankeys if needed.  Think that you can cold store / cold crash / lager etc in the same keggerator so add space for that too.
And buy Perlicks. They are more expensive than regular faucets but its worth it. If you save money and buy the cheaper rear seal taps, you WILL end up wanting to change them out, so do it right the first time.

Here's mine

Great info Ross, and your build is beautiful. Thanks for the post
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:15:49 pm »
Yeah, that is a killer build Ross.  Nice work !
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
That's a really nice build!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:57:12 am »

Here's mine

Man thats a clean set up!

Where did you buy the mats for the bottom?

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:31:17 am »
mattybrass - its from Lowes. It's a 3x3 floor mat for industrial shops / bars etc and it cuts really easy with a sharp knife.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_155419-20787-919115-LGS_0__?productId=3377248&Ntt=floor+mat&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfloor%2Bmat&facetInfo=

Thanks everyone for the kind words! This was my second build after the compressor died in my old one, and I realized that if I was going to make the effort again I should do it right. I've got 8x CO2 gas lines and 2x Beer Blend gas lines. All the gas lines are 4' except for 1 CO2 which is 8' to reach out the top and help pressurize kegs external to the freezer during kegging.

I bundled the beer lines because I hate that tangled mess of hoses. That and I run 8' to prevent any foaming. I'm about to replace my shanks because the chrome is starting to flake off, so I think I'll go with stainless this time. And shorter too.

HoosierBrew - I'm in Pike township if you feel like stopping by for a brew sometime!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:42:25 am by rjharper »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:22 am »

HoosierBrew - I'm in Pike township if you feel like stopping by for a brew sometime!

Thanks,man !  I may take you up on that sometime .
Jon H.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
mattybrass - its from Lowes. It's a 3x3 floor mat for industrial shops / bars etc and it cuts really easy with a sharp knife.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_155419-20787-919115-LGS_0__?productId=3377248&Ntt=floor+mat&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfloor%2Bmat&facetInfo=

Thanks everyone for the kind words! This was my second build after the compressor died in my old one, and I realized that if I was going to make the effort again I should do it right. I've got 8x CO2 gas lines and 2x Beer Blend gas lines. All the gas lines are 4' except for 1 CO2 which is 8' to reach out the top and help pressurize kegs external to the freezer during kegging.

I bundled the beer lines because I hate that tangled mess of hoses. That and I run 8' to prevent any foaming. I'm about to replace my shanks because the chrome is starting to flake off, so I think I'll go with stainless this time. And shorter too.

Awesome thanks ill go check it out.

Do you guys get a lot of water at the bottom of your keezers? I tend to get some buildup over time even with an Eva-Dry in there. should i pick up another? Maybe its related to the temp i keep it at?

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
It ices up from time to time. I just shop vac it out as necessary.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:36 am »
I have not had much luck preventing ice and water. Damp rid will freeze up if I position it too low in the freezer. I think air circulation with the damp rid is the trick.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:53 am »
I use an upright fridge with no water issues.

A few friends with chest freezer setups took the drain plug out the freezer so the water drains as it is accumulated. Of course you need a place for it to go.