Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 565. What's all the fuss?  (Read 14167 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
WLP 565. What's all the fuss?
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:13:11 am »
I finally brewed my first saison, well 2 actually.  I used WLP 565 the Dupont strain.  I have read Farm house brews.  Countless forum postings and the reviews on White labs site.  So I was prepared!  I was ready to wait a long time!  I made a big starter.  I mashed low @ 143F.  I aerated well with an airstone intially and then again into ferment.  I kept them warm.  One in a water bath the other in a ferment chamber with a heating pad.

The one in the chamber with heating pad is already down to 1.011 after only 2 days!  It was a simple one.  Only pilsner.  I had it up to about 82F in there.  The other astonishing thing?  It already tastes pretty damn good after only a few days! 

The other in the water bath is still chugging.  I have only let it get as high as 75F so far.  It is easier to control a slow ramp up with the aquarium heater.  I did not have that control with the heating pad (though that does not seem to have hurt.)  It was my first attempt at a cereal mash using spelt.  That one is only down to 1.018, but, hey it is only 2 days.  This one is pretty tasty too.  Definitley some bready flavors.  Also some banana I do not pick up in the other one.

Normally I would not check a beer this early.  I would not touch for at least 2 weeks.  Since I am new to this yeast though and after all I have read I wanted to see how it goes though.  The krauesen last night I think, and one was no longer producing enough CO2 to escape the airlock, so I guess I wanted to see if the rumors of its sluggishness were true.

Can't wait to repitch from these for another round...
Dave Brush

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: WLP 565. What's all the fuss?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:21:06 pm »
Let us know what you end up with as an FG.  I am definitely curious and would like to put a Dupont-like Saison together for a summer libation.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:14 pm »
I use this strain all the time and brew a 1.045 saison with it that turns out great. Never have a problem with the strain. I have even fermented it in the low 60s with great results. I have, OTOH, seen the krausen fall completely, and then mysteriously start again on more than one occasion. But never have I seen the strain get "stuck".

I think the problem may lie with people making high gravity saisons and not pitching enough yeast. I always start out low and use the second and third generation for higher gravity brews. The third gen of this strain works really well even at low temps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:32:48 pm by majorvices »

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »
I use this strain all the time and brew a 1.045 saison with it that turns out great. Never have a problem with the strain. I have even fermented it in the low 60s with great results. I have, OTOH, seen the krausen fall completely, and then mysteriously start again on more than one occasion. But never have I seen the strain get "stuck".

I think the problem may lie with people making high gravity saisons and not pitching enough yeast. I always start out low and use the second and third generation for higher gravity brews. The third gen of this strain works really well even at low temps.

Do you still get the phenols at the lower temps?  Yeah, I guess I did not mention, I was aiming for more session-able saisons.  So, the gravities started at 1.042 and 1.048 respectively.  Plus a healthy starter...
Dave Brush

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:46:45 am »
Phenols shouldn't be related to fermentation temp. I only did it one time and it was by accident (I forgot to plug my heat wrap into the temp control, lol!) and I was surprised it fermented as well as it did (and equally surprised it dried out as well as it did) but the thing I remember was how tart and fruity it was. Not very spicy IIRC. It made a fantastic Saison Noir.

Offline schristian619

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:45 am »
I just used this strain for the first time with a saison that started around 1.060.  I tested gravity after 1 week and it was only down to 1.042.  But then I checked it a week or so later and it was down to 1.014, still a little higher than I wanted so I'm letting it sit for another week, although i did rouse the yeast a little bit.  I made a small starter with about a pint of wort, then stepped it up with 2 pints a couple days later.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:36 am »

Can you post your recipe?

Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:40:53 am »
Actually the OG is higher than I mentioned above. Interesting thing about this beer is you really can't tell there is Amarillo in here. I have been using Amarillo in my Belgians with a light hand. It really seems to play well with the spice character/

12 gal
29 BU

14lbs Pils
8lb Wheat Malt

1 oz Magnum (14) @ 90
1oz crystal @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 10

4 crushed lime leaves
28 grams ground ginger (fresh)

WLP565

Mash at 149-150 for 60 min, raise to 160 for 20 minutes and sparge.

I then use the yeast for a 1.070 "super" saison.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:42:51 am by majorvices »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:57:32 am »
Thanks.

Interesting use of lime leaves and ground ginger. When do you add them?

Also...how big a starter and what pitch and ferm temp?
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:20 pm »
Spices added last 5 min. Pitch mid 60s, let fermentation raise to high 60s for a couple days then raise to low to mid 70s. Its a very easy drinking and refreshing session beer.