Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Smoked Porter w/Peppers  (Read 2525 times)

Offline stevefry

• 1st Kit
  • Retired with time to brew
Stone Smoked Porter w/Peppers
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
I am looking for a tried and proven clone receipt for Stone's Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers.  If someone has one and would be willing to share it, I would greatly appreciate it.  Steve

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Stone Smoked Porter w/Peppers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32:15 am »
I am pretty sure there are reputable Stone Smoked Porter recipes floating around the internet. Maybe on Stone's website or verified recipes from Stone through BN or BYO. Finding the specific recipe for the chipotle version may be more difficult. I would say once you have a good recipe for the Smoked Porter you just need to add the peppers after fermentation ends and taste daily until you are happy with the chipotle flavor.

I didn't catch the chipotle version but I did get the vanilla version. Really interesting stuff.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline stevefry

• 1st Kit
  • Retired with time to brew
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:22:14 pm »
thanks. I will give that a try

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:04 am »
The brewery's autobiography should be a trusted source for the recipe, at least as a snapshot in a recipe's ongoing evolution.  Page 165 of The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. specifies the following recipe:

82.5% domestic 2-row
9.5% crystal 75L
5.5% chocolate malt
2.5% peated malt

157°F mash
Mash out 165°F

90 minute boil

.293 lb/bbl Columbus (12.9% aa) [90 minute]
.23 lb/bbl Mt. Hood (6% aa) [0 minute]

WLP007 or 002 @ 72°F

SG 1.065
FG 1.018

Regarding the chipotle pepper version of this ale, the same page reads "Put .42 ounce of chopped dried chipotle peppers in a hops bag, add it during secondary fermentation, and allow it to steep for 3 days (or more or less, depending on how spicy you'd like your brew to be)".

This is specified for 5 gallons, and seems to be the only info regarding the pepper addition that appears in the book.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...