Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 Harvest  (Read 11518 times)

Offline goobersan

• Cellarman
Re: 2014 Harvest
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:07 am »
You said these are both first year harvests. As someone interested in planting in the next year or two, I have a couple questions.
First, what are your expectations from these hills in the future as far as weight produced?
Second, how much did you plant, and how much space were they given?
If and when I do this, I would like to know what to expect out of 1 rhizome, or 5, etc.

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
First of all don't wait. I've had good results with both online rhizome suppliers and my LHBS. I started with 2 each, Cascade and Centennial. Planted in 20 gallon pots, watered EVERY day, probably harvested 4# total wet weight the first year. 2014 planted those in the ground along with 2 Fuggle and 2 Willamette, harvested 11+ wet weight. Finished with 44oz dry packaged hops. My trellis system is 12' tall, plant varieties are 4' apart in 12' long rows (room to split crowns). Definitely purchase a garden hose timer ($20) to ensure they receive enough water. Fish emulsion and plant food also helps. You can expect 2-4# wet hops from each plant after the first year, depending on climate, etc.
Thank your mentor
Be a mentor
Brew Better Beer

Offline brewski09

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 10:22:01 pm »
yup northern cali was hop haven for a while before it moved north more. still a lot of wild hops growing around here. I actually just 'scored' 3 oz of random wild Sacramento river bank hops the other day. I've yet to use them or even open the bag and whiff.

Only necro-bumping this thread because I'd love to know where the Sacramento Riverbank hops are located. Do you have any idea if they were CA Cluster?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 06:24:02 am »
yup northern cali was hop haven for a while before it moved north more. still a lot of wild hops growing around here. I actually just 'scored' 3 oz of random wild Sacramento river bank hops the other day. I've yet to use them or even open the bag and whiff.

Only necro-bumping this thread because I'd love to know where the Sacramento Riverbank hops are located. Do you have any idea if they were CA Cluster?

I suspect they were. They had a distinct catty and onion character that wasn't great. robust bitterness though. No idea where they came from except that it was in/near sacramento
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce