Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Follow up on "The Vessel"  (Read 2014 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Follow up on "The Vessel"
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »
I contributed to this campaign on Indie gogo. The fermenter now has roughly 7.9 gallon capacity. My question is about ideal volume to put into this fermenter. I have been using 6.5 gallon buckets with 5-5.5 gallons of wort in them. Can I safely just increase my batch size to leave roughly the same head space? Basically, what would be the maximum volume you would try to ferment with 7.9gallon max capacity? Assuming that my BruGear boil kettle shows up soon, once I have both, I can have a batch size up to and beyond the capacity of this fermenter, and with some of the recipes I have been making, I would like to get a little more out of a brew day. Any thoughts you all might have would be most appreciated.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

Re: Follow up on "The Vessel"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »
Max volume will vary based on recipe and ferm temp. Some times I have 1/2 gallon of foam and other times the blowoff is spewing for a week solid. The geometry of the vessel might make a difference too.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:32 am »
Are these vessels going to be on the market for those who didn't contribute to the campaign soon? I probably wouldn't go with much more than about 6 gallons in that size of fermenter.
Jesse

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:45:38 am »
I'm not sure when they will available to those outside of the campaign. I did get an update this morning saying I should be able to pick mine up locally at the end of September or first week of October. Thanks for the input on volumes, I was planning on 6 gallons. Running the math, 6 gallons would leave about 25% headspace compared to 5.5 gallons in a 6.5(15%), this will be  good place to start until I know the product better.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »
Yeah there was a communication issue between the vendor and the factory in china.. He did offer to get people a fermenter at the original specified volume if it mattered to them.  Otherwise he let the 7.9 gallon snafu ride.

I'm actually happy they are 7.9... If you're use to fermenting in those wider wine fermenter buckets that's the volume they are.  Either way it will still be just fine for a primary fermenter for a 5-6 gallon batch.  Where some were concerned about the increased size were the people that needed it to fit a tight fermentation chamber.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »
FYI I did get a notification today that they are on the boat from China.  You can even track the ship. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/9337676/vessel:NYK_DENEB
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »
Yes, I'm one if those happy with the extra space, as I can increase my batch size a bit easily

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:07:50 am »
Thanks, guys. I hope they become readily available, as the stainless steel Brew Buckets seem to have become, and are a reasonable price like they were for the campaign. I may have to pick one up some day. Right now I'm splitting 6 gallon batches between two 5 gallon kegs. Be nice to eventually ferment everything in one stainless vessel. Conicals aren't an option at this point.
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »
I discovered yet another reason to use a 'stainless bucket' over a plastic one... My basement flooded last week with stinky bacteria water and I had to throw out about 20 plastic fermenter buckets.  Stainless and I could have cleaned them (or boiled water in them)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"