Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bobbing for apples  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bobbing for apples
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »
Got 3.5# of crab apples floating in my saison. They have been in there for 3 days and are turning brownish. They are so buoyant that some seem to not even touch the beer. Should I be worried about the apples going rotten in the beer and get them out ASAP?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Bobbing for apples
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »
Yes. No. Maybe.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:26:53 am »
I'm not sure either.  Floating and potential contamination from airborne stuff might be why some people juice their apples then just add the juice.  You'll know it's bad if the result tastes like vinegar or turpentine.  But... it might turn out fine.  Not sure.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:05:20 am »
i would at least punch them down some. the pH and alcohol of the beer will inhibit molds and allow the yeast access to the fruit better. just go in there with a santized SS spoon and gently move the apples around
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:18:47 am »
Thanks guys. I have been stirring them around but the amount of them vs the size of the fermenting bucket seems to prevent all of them from making contact with the beer. I think I will pull them out later today and see what I get. I just thought I would try this but is definitely not worth an infected batch.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:24 am »
I once got a vinegar smell from pears that were floating on top of a fermenting mead when I forgot to punch them down a couple days in a row. It was at the end of primary and it turned out OK. But with a beer I think the risk is higher. I wonder if they could be weighed down with a upside down sanitized colander of the right size.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:39 am »
I am assuming you cut them up, right?  If you racked to secondary and purged the headspace with CO2 you should be fine even if they are on top.  But if they are turning brown, then there is most likely oxygen in the headspace.  Has fermentation of the fruit begun yet?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:14 pm »
I am assuming you cut them up, right?  If you racked to secondary and purged the headspace with CO2 you should be fine even if they are on top.  But if they are turning brown, then there is most likely oxygen in the headspace.  Has fermentation of the fruit begun yet?

I quartered them. I added them directly to the fermenter after a week. I did rouse the yeast when adding them but fermentation never seemed to take back off. I have taken them out and the skin was more of an olive green color with light brownish flesh. Right now the beer looks and smells fine so hopefully I am ok. I plan to keg in a couple of days.