Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pitch new yeast?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline aj68roberts

• 1st Kit
pitch new yeast?
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:52 am »
hello all. I just started an American stout yesterday. I am now 12 hours in and still don't see bubbling in my airlock. I prepared my (liquid) yeast according to the packet instructions and pitched as recommended into a 70 degree F wort. I bought the yeast around the beginning of July and had it stored in by beer fridge at about 35 degrees F. Is it possible the yeast are dead?  Should I pitch a new yeast? Is my batch lost?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: pitch new yeast?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:10:06 am »
12 hours is nothing to sweat over. You can go 24 hours without seeing any signs of fermentation. Also, don't rely on bubbling airlocks as an indication of activity, especially if you are in a bucket. Buckets can have leaks around the seals.

Finally, it's always best to make a yeast starter or pitch multiple packets. The smack pack/vial of yeast is really not an adequate pitch for most SG worts that homebrewers prepare. Check the calculator at www.mrmalty.com to see how much yeast you need for every batch.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:14:14 am »
It's unlikely that the yeast are dead.
From what you posted I'm assuming that you just pitched the contents of the smack pack/vial into your wort.
You didn't pitch enough yeast (I know the package says it's enough). However, it will get started, it will just take longer than you expect.
Don't know what you are fermenting in, if it's a bucket, you may have a leak around the lid which would allow CO2 to escape there versus the airlock. If it's a bucket, have you opened it to see what's happening?
Pick up a pack of US-05 and if there is still no activity after 48 hours, pitch the it.
Next time make a yeast starter.
Lot's of info here on the forum about making and using yeast starters.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:46:58 am »
If no starter was used to grow up your army of yeast then twelve hours is not alarming.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:24 am »
Agreed.  Fermenatation will begin shortly.  Next time, make an appropriate sized starter for your batch in advance of your brew day to ensure a healthy fermentation (or buy more packs to pitch). 

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »
ive gone 48 hrs not seeing any airlock activity only to open the bucket to see a nice thick krausen

Offline aj68roberts

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
Sorry about being shot on details this morning. I just wanted to get some input before I took off to work.

My fermenter is a glass 6.5 gallon carboy that I keep in my basement in the dark. the room stays at a constant 65 to 70 degrees F. I use a two piece airlock and fill it with vodka. The total volume in the carboy is 5 gallons. I took a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast and it was 1.059. The kit instructions called for 1.057. 

Now I am just a tick over 24 hours and theres still no bubbling in my airlock. I have removed the vent cap from the top of my airlock and put my hand over the top. when I do this I notice that the volume of vodka in the airlock gets smaller. Something is causing pressure to increase. So I guess there is some co2 coming from the top......... Right?

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to pitch new yeast? ........ Or is this just the way a stout ferments?  Thanks....... Aj.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »
Most likely scenario is the yeast is still building up enough of a critical mass to start fermentation. I'd bet a pint that it will be going in the am.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:29 am »
Sorry about being shot on details this morning. I just wanted to get some input before I took off to work.

My fermenter is a glass 6.5 gallon carboy that I keep in my basement in the dark. the room stays at a constant 65 to 70 degrees F. I use a two piece airlock and fill it with vodka. The total volume in the carboy is 5 gallons. I took a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast and it was 1.059. The kit instructions called for 1.057. 

Now I am just a tick over 24 hours and theres still no bubbling in my airlock. I have removed the vent cap from the top of my airlock and put my hand over the top. when I do this I notice that the volume of vodka in the airlock gets smaller. Something is causing pressure to increase. So I guess there is some co2 coming from the top......... Right?

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to pitch new yeast? ........ Or is this just the way a stout ferments?  Thanks....... Aj.

What we are all trying to tell you is that the beer will take off, but you did not pitch enough yeast,. You really need to make a yeast starter or pitch multiple packets. If starters are too complicated or multiple pitches too expensive your best bet is to stick with dry yeast.

Pitching another packet of yeast now is not a bad idea since you most certainly underpitched to begin with.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:54 am »
Of course if you pitched a sachet of dry yeast, may just have a seal leak.  Happens all the time - anymore I just peel back the bucket lid after a couple days if no airlock activity is evident.  I then confirm krausen, re-seal and typically get airlock activity upon re-sealing.  If no krausen in your glass carboy - then repitch.  If krausen, then pull the bung, re-sanitize and replace tightly.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"