Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting the bacon flavor correct  (Read 7059 times)

Offline DukeBrohnston

• 1st Kit
getting the bacon flavor correct
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:51:01 am »
Duke here;

With fall approaching I have decided to do some more experimenting with my kit. Up next will be a bacon-flavored smokey porter. As a base I will be using the smokey porter kit from a local shop (Pints O' Plenty).

Goals:
- 5 gallon batch
- 8-9% Alcohol content
- Slightly salty/sweet upfront taste followed by a smooth smokey finish.

Additional ingredients:
- Extra pound of smokey malts
- 2 lbs maple syrup
- 1 lb brown sugar
- salt ???

Helpful suggestions:
- How much salt should be added?
- What additional hops/types of hops could be used to achieve the taste of bacon's deliciousness
- What is the general consensus of bacon flavor that I should aim for.
Dude abides

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
getting the bacon flavor correct
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:29:07 am »
I was watching "Dark Horse Nation the other day and they wound up using a randall stuffed with bacon to achieve the bacon flavor and aroma.

The brewery tried to infuse countless pounds of bacon at various points in the boil and as a dry hop with almost no discernible effect of bacon.

I also believe there is a bacon extract that can be purchased on line and added at packaging
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline nbwajdr

• 1st Kit
Re: getting the bacon flavor correct
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:36:37 am »
I remember that BYO had an article a few years back about breakfast themed beer.  A brewery (now closed, I think) in the San Juan Islands in WA was brewing a bacon beer.  I believe they cooked the bacon very done so most fat was out, then soaked it in vodka, then poured the vodka into the secondary.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:47 am »
Olive Nation extracts from Silver Cloud Estates produce a bacon flavored extract.  You should google search them.  Their extracts are the real deal, potent, and not like the ones in the LHBS. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
Bacon beer =   ???  But I could be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »
I like the idea for this beer!  Sounds tasty to me.

If you want bacon flavor, 100% Bamburg smoked malt is perfect for this.  A pound or 1.5 lb of crystal malt would probably be a good idea, maybe some Crystal 80 and Crystal 120.  I wouldn't use a lot more specialty malts beyond that, as the more you use, it will dilute the smoked malt flavor.  Personally I would never use actual bacon in a beer.  It is unnecessary.  You'll get all of that hickory-smoked bacon flavor that you want directly from smoked malt!  If you can smoke the malt yourself with hickory, so much the better!

If you want maple flavor, you don't really need to use maple syrup or brown sugar.  Rather, add a spice known as fenugreek.  This is the same thing used to make artificial maple syrup just like Mrs. Butterworth and Aunt Jemima.  Just a very small amount is all that's needed.  Figure out how much you think you should use, and then use about 1/4 as much, as fenugreek is very strong.  You can add it to the end of your boil.  You can find this at any spice shop and many homebrew shops.  Or use both maple syrup AND fenugreek if you like.  Real maple syrup does not taste very mapley at all after it ferments, that's why you need both.

Salt... maybe try 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons to start, and if that's not enough then add another tablespoon.  It's somewhere in that ballpark.

Hops don't matter too much.  Just don't use any citrusy hops that start with C.  I think Northern Brewer hops would be a good addition to this style, with their herbal, slightly minty and peppery spiciness.

I am also wondering if a small addition of black pepper might be a good idea for this beer.  How much?  I am not certain... as much as you think you would like!  Or none at all.  Again, you could boil this, or you could make a small vodka infusion and add just before kegging/bottling.

Best of luck to you.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
Bacon beer =   ???  But I could be wrong.

I don't think you are!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »
Fire off an email to Rouge. They have used bacon before in their Voodoo doughnut line.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:44:21 pm »
Fire off an email to Rouge. They have used bacon before in their Voodoo doughnut line.

Yeah...you don't wanna do what they did....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »
I've done an Imperial Bacon Smoked Porter before. I used bacon-infused vodka. The bacon flavor comes through, but it isn't that great. You still get a little of the oiliness and salt from the bacon, but the smokey flavor of the porter is enough to suggest bacon anyway. The smoked imperial porter was really good, and adding the bacon was a fun novelty, but not really necessary for the beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 12:54:14 pm »

Yeah...you don't wanna do what they did....

Did they "mama bird" it?

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:05 pm »
I have made a bacon Beer before. I called it "Kevin Bacon Porter". Why? because after one drink of this, you'll be saying "thank you sir, may I have another?" The way I made was I first made bacon infused vodka. I would infuse the vodka over a period of about 8 months with real, crisp bacon. Before I put in the secondary, I would boil it to sterilize it and get rid of most of the vodka alcohol. I usually added a couple of cups of it. I was definitely a hit! Why was it a hit? Let's break this down. Bacon great, beer great. Putting the two together, probably one of the greatest moves for the advancement of mankind ever!!!  :)
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
Did they "mama bird" it?

Dude, you've got me...I'm not familiar with that phrase.  But if you tasted the beer, you'd know they were less than successful.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »
Chew it up and spit it out like a mama bird does with a baby bird.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:43:25 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:57 pm »
Chew it up and slit it out like a mama bird does with a baby bird.

I was afraid that's what you meant!  :)

www.dennybrew.com