Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting the bacon flavor correct  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
Re: getting the bacon flavor correct
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 03:17:50 am »
I think the reason bacon tastes so good is because it contains the big three of flavor: salt, sugar, and fat. No matter how much bacon taste you get in your beer it will never be anything better than fat-free bacon. FAT-FREE BACON!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 08:07:55 am »
Bacon beer =   ???  But I could be wrong.

I don't think you are!  ;)

I concur!  I watched the bacon beer episode of Dark Horse Nation, and my stomach was queasy the entire time.  Beer is not supposed to be a stunt.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
I had a brown ale on cask with bacon added to the cask. I have long eschewed the idea of bacon beer but there it was and I figured I should try it at least once. It was pretty good. Not the kind of beer I would drink pint after pint. Very assertive bacon flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:38 am »
Beer is not supposed to be a stunt.

So much THIS^^^^!  While I applaud creativity in homebrewing, to my mind there's a fine line between innovation and "WTF were you thinking".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:06 am »
Beer is not supposed to be a stunt.

So much THIS^^^^!  While I applaud creativity in homebrewing, to my mind there's a fine line between innovation and "WTF were you thinking".

Yep.  Also a (not so) fine line between meat and beer.   :D   
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:53:17 am »
I had a brown ale on cask with bacon added to the cask. I have long eschewed the idea of bacon beer but there it was and I figured I should try it at least once. It was pretty good. Not the kind of beer I would drink pint after pint. Very assertive bacon flavor.

This is what I think of Rauchbier. Sounds like an interesting idea at first. Doesn't taste horrible. But after about 3 sips I'm done. If I was at a beer festival and a brewery didn't have anything else more interesting on tap I may try it, but I'd never spend money on it. And I would never waste the time or grain to brew even a 1 gallon batch that I would be dumping about 125 ounces from.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 02:33:41 pm »
they also make a bacon flavored coffee sryup, you could try that. I personally wouldn't waste bacon in the beer, its for eating... if you want the flavor find an extract.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline e-dubb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »
creatively thinking...i would smoke a slab of bacon and some malt in the same smoker at the same time..
"I'm a nobody, but I don't mind." - US69

Offline DukeBrohnston

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »
Hey all!
Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up not adding salts to this batch. Despite an additional pound of smoked malts the smokiness is nonexistent. In my secondary I added roughly 3 lbs of Grade-A Maple Syrup (Yes Canadian) giving me about an 8% final alcohol. 2 months post-bottling the alcohol burn is not powerful but it is still present. I am hoping that it will mellow out by January/February so I can enter it in a competition.

Stay thirsty amigos!
Dude abides

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:22 pm »
A local brewery, Listermann's, does a smoked bock called Friar Bacon.  You'd swear it has bacon in it, but they swear it doesn't!  A good beer for a cold winter morning maybe.  It is good, but I couldn't drink much of it in one sitting.  At any rate, save the real bacon for your cast iron.   

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
A local brewery, Listermann's, does a smoked bock called Friar Bacon.  You'd swear it has bacon in it, but they swear it doesn't!  A good beer for a cold winter morning maybe.  It is good, but I couldn't drink much of it in one sitting.  At any rate, save the real bacon for your cast iron.
JT, I love Listermann's, get all my supplies there. And just joined the Bloats last week, see you around
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »
JT, I love Listermann's, get all my supplies there. And just joined the Bloats last week, see you around
Prost!