Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Palisade hops  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Palisade hops
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »
For those who have used them, how would you describe them?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Palisade hops
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
Sort of fruity (mostly stonefruit)/floral/hint of citrus to me. Not super assertive, so it could get lost in an IPA blend, but it could work well in an APA.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »
Sort of fruity (mostly stonefruit)/floral/hint of citrus to me. Not super assertive, so it could get lost in an IPA blend, but it could work well in an APA.

Thanks! I am thinking about replacing the Willamette that I used in an APA. They just seem blah out of the package and it seems the Palisade is sometimes referred to as 'super Willamette'.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:54:52 pm »
I didn't find a lot of resemblance to Willamette, but that's a good thing for me. Not a fan of Willamette or Fuggles !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
I am trying to find an american aroma variety that is reasonably earthy, spicy, and floral. Willamette was kind of a shot in the dark at that. I find it way too mild and lacking of anything interesting. Not that I think palisade is that hop but I was just curious.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:04:02 pm »
I say give it a shot. It's more interesting than Willamette. I bet it'd make a solid APA. Dry hop a couple oz and you'll really get a feel for it.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »
Also, you can obviously blend a couple hops to get that combination- earthy, spicy ,floral.  Mt Hood is a floral Hallertau derivative (and good in ales, too) and Motueka is an interesting Saaz offshoot, that is earthy and spicy like Saaz but with a little citrus/lime character. A Mt Hood/Motueka blend could give you an interesting APA that might have those qualities. Could be fun.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »
I like palisades. It's in one of my favorite commercial beers: Troegs Nugget Nectar.

Mt. Hood could be another option for you. I'd describe it as what you're looking for.
Frank

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »
Aroma and flavor of peaches.  Aroma of a fresh bag of Centennial pellets.  Not earthy or spicy.   

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »
Thanks All. I do like the idea of palisade although I understand it isn't earthy or spicy. Mt Hood is one I hear a lot of good things about and would like to try out soon.

I used liberty recently and found it to be very lackluster similar to the willamette. I think I am just kind of used to using the more agressive american hops

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »
You guys were spot on with your descriptions. I brewed a pale ale and I really like what I get from the palisades. I bittered with chinook then used cascade at 10 min. I did a hop stand with palisade and dry hopped with it as well. It is pretty mild but I really enjoy the stonefruit character and some light grassy character. The pine from chinook, grapefruit/citrus from cascade and stonefruit/grassy from palisade provides a nice hop character. This will become one on my regular hops I think and I am excited to experiment more with it.

I can see it compared to willamette only because it is mild and has a light grassy character. That is my perception anyway.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »
Not sure if its actually in the final product now or if it was ever but in a BYO issue featuring a 60 minute clone the article thanks Sam/Brian for help compiling the recipe.