Author Topic: Choosing a house yeast  (Read 1645 times)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
    • View Profile
Choosing a house yeast
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
Hey,

I'm at the point in my brewing where I want to find a "house" yeast that I can use for the majority of my brewing. What do you guys use/recommend? I brew mostly american styles. For the wheats/belgians etc ill just buy new yeast.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Choosing a house yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
I use WY1450 for pretty much all of my American styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

Would you say its your... favorite?  :o

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
It depends on what you want out of your house strain. For me, if I were looking to have a house American Ale strain I'd try a bunch of yeasts that aren't 001/1056/US-05 and decide what one works the best in my usual recipes. In particular, I'd try them each in an IPA and a Porter to make sure they cover both hoppy and dark beers.

Not that there's anything wrong with Chico, but if I'm going to pick a house yeast I would like to get a house character that's different than 90% of the other beers out there. I'd probably settle on one of the cleaner English strains like WLP013 or WLP007. I'd want to get some character from my house strain.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

Would you say its your... favorite?  :o

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »

I need to try 1450 in an APA or IPA, Denny. I love it in American Brown, Porter and Stout.
Jon H.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • St. Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
I like 1056 because its alcohol tolerant and applicable to any American style. There's a reason its so popular among homebrewers and craft breweries.

Since its so popular, its always available and super fresh from the LHBS.

If you don't make many high ABV beers, WLP002/WY1968/S04 is perfect for most American and English styles (also ciders), plus it clears super fast (if you're always bumping up against a deadline). Very low esters around 64F (think FW Union Jack), but ester profile is nice for bitter/mild. I've had diacetyl issues with it once or twice, but not since I started slowly raising temp after high krausen (kind-of diacetyl rest).
@southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

STLHops Homebrew Club:
http://STLHops.com/

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
I guess it's tough to call 1056 a 'house yeast' per se, because of its clean character. But the clean character is exactly why I like it so much for American styles. I don't like anything getting in the way of the malt and hops in American styles. I save the esters, phenols and other yeast character for brewing European styles (where appropriate).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:33:09 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline S. cerevisiae

• Senior Brewmaster
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
If you don't make many high ABV beers, WLP002/WY1968/S04 is perfect for most American and English styles (also ciders)

S-04 is WLP007, not WLP002.  I would like to see WLP002 offered in dry form.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
If you don't make many high ABV beers, WLP002/WY1968/S04 is perfect for most American and English styles (also ciders)

S-04 is WLP007, not WLP002.  I would like to see WLP002 offered in dry form.

I asked white labs which yeast of theirs would be closest or equal to s04 and they said 002

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Choosing a house yeast
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
Would wlp017 be the closest? Whitbread? Seasonal strain.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
What qualities are you looking for in the beer? That makes a big difference.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:10 PM »
This is mainly going to be for american styles. The main thing im looking for is clean fermentation. I'm not as concerned about flocc since i keg/gelatin usually. Ill most likely be using the yeast for APA/IPA/IIPA/Blonde ales

Online Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »

I use 1968 in my high ABV old ale with great success.  I've also used it in an imperial stout.  It's regularly taken both these beers from >1.09 to <1.02.

Treated right, it does just fine with high OGs.  Big pitch, good aeration, good fermentation temps.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »
I use 1968 in my high ABV old ale with great success.  I've also used it in an imperial stout.  It's regularly taken both these beers from >1.09 to <1.02.
Treated right, it does just fine with high OGs.  Big pitch, good aeration, good fermentation temps.

I totally agree...it makes outstanding hi-test ales.
It's among my top 3 favorite yeasts.

my main go-to yeasts are:
1) The Survivor---my house strain, origins unknown, in use since the 1980s  (started as a multi-strain; I let then let them slug it out for close to 2 dozen successive repitches and then plated it.  god only knows what I wound up with after at least 25 years of mutation, but it works great in my setup for a wide variety of beers)
2) WY 1968
3) ECY "Old Newark Ale"  (becoming a real favorite over the last couple of years)

honorable mention:   dry s-04, but only when I'm in a hurry or doing a spur-of-the-moment brew session.  not bad at all for what it is.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971