Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for rice hulls  (Read 9375 times)

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
Substitute for rice hulls
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »
I am going to do an adjunct beer and don't have any rice hulls readily available.  I was thinking about using the dropped pine (fir/redwood) needles that abound in my yard instead.  If I don't add them until just before first runnings (batch sparge), do you think I will have issues with excessive acidity?  Flavor? (They are, after all, the dried red dropped needles, not the fresh and green ones.)
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Substitute for rice hulls
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:08 pm »
I don't bother with rice hulls even in 50%+ wheat beers. if it get's stuck, just stir it up, re-vorlauf and start again. worst case scenerio it will take you an extra 30 minutes to sparge.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:41:59 am »
I never use rice hulls and I brew wheat beers all the time. Of course, some systems get stuck easier than others but I've never had a MT that required them and I have had several renditions. If you are using a braided screen ala Denny C. batch sparge you should be good to go without them.

As far as pine needles go, I'd be careful there. You might steep some first and see if they give any flavor. I'd personally try to run my batch sparge without them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:42:05 am »
About the only time I need rice hulls is with malted rye - and that is not an adjunct.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:01 am »
Around here people buy pine needles for mulch because they smell nice, so...

Not sure which adjunct, but I've made cream ale with 25% corn and no hulls needed.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:37 am »
I have never used rice hulls, and I have used 40% corn grits.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:59:14 am »
Didn't your mom tell you not to pick stuff up off the ground and put it in your beer?

Dough in slowly and mix well, runoff slower than normal. You'll be fine.

Worst case, as Mort pointed out, it will be a hassle and take longer, but you're trading that hassle for the extra trip to the LHBS, right?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
Doug, I pretty much agree with the others, but tell us your recipe.  Is your mash tun prone to stuck runoffs?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:35 am »
Denny, My mash is not particularly prone to stuck mashes.  The only time I really had any trouble was when I added a can of pumpkin.  I don't really have a recipe yet but I was planning to do something with corn in some form or another.  I probably won't worry about a stuck mash too much.
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:49 am »
Denny, My mash is not particularly prone to stuck mashes.  The only time I really had any trouble was when I added a can of pumpkin.  I don't really have a recipe yet but I was planning to do something with corn in some form or another.  I probably won't worry about a stuck mash too much.

I did a CAP a few weeks ago and use 30% corn. I did a cereal mash and had no problem at all with stuck runoff. for whatever that's worth
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:10:32 am »
I started using a voile bag, for brew in a bag, in my mashtun. No more stuck runoffs. You can pull the bag if it starts to get stuck or slow, no need to vorlauf most of the time, and you can pull the bag after you're done sparging, put it in a bucket to clean later, and just spray out the mashtun. It's quite easy.

Something to consider...
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:42 am »

If you happen to be in town to visit before then, lemme know.  I've got a bag you can have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03:24 pm »
I started using a voile bag, for brew in a bag, in my mashtun. No more stuck runoffs. You can pull the bag if it starts to get stuck or slow, no need to vorlauf most of the time, and you can pull the bag after you're done sparging, put it in a bucket to clean later, and just spray out the mashtun. It's quite easy.

Very interesting idea indeed!
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:05 pm »

Very interesting idea indeed!
Works great. I do what is essentially BIAB, but in a beverage cooler to help hold mash temps better. Cleanup is a breeze, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer