Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest vs Alt bier grain bill  (Read 5476 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Oktoberfest vs Alt bier grain bill
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 12:39:29 pm »
I dare you all to pour yourself 4 to 6 different examples, 3 of each style, and have a friend help you taste them all blind, and you declare which ones are "alt" and which are "Oktoberfest/maerzen".  Or, actually... how many altbiers have you all tasted in your lives??  I have never been to Germany.  I would guess that most other style nazis like me have not been there either.  So who is to say, really, what the differences are?  The BJCP??  I place about as much trust in the BJCP as..... well, maybe it's better than nothing.  Sometimes.  Maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »
I dare you all to pour yourself 4 to 6 different examples, 3 of each style, and have a friend help you taste them all blind, and you declare which ones are "alt" and which are "Oktoberfest/maerzen".  Or, actually... how many altbiers have you all tasted in your lives??  I have never been to Germany.  I would guess that most other style nazis like me have not been there either.  So who is to say, really, what the differences are?  The BJCP??  I place about as much trust in the BJCP as..... well, maybe it's better than nothing.  Sometimes.  Maybe.

I've tasted a few German alts in my time, and IMO I could pick it out in a blind taste test as easily as I could an IPA from a Tripel!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »
I think the bitterness alone in most alts would be out of place in any O-fest.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
I think the bitterness alone in most alts would be out of place in any O-fest.

Exactly my point!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »

I'll take that dare....although I've never been to Germany, I've tatsed quite a few German alts and Ofests.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »
The thing to keep in mind is that in general it's only American versions of alt that include Munich.  That's very unlike Ofest.

Kai uses Munich:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kaiser_Alt

He's pretty German ;)

I think the ones in Duesseldorf go from low/no Munich malt character (Uerige) to very evident (Schumacher).

Bitterness goes from medium to very high (Uerige).

Kai's looks like it would make a Schumacher or maybe closer would be Im Fuchschen.
Interesting. The last Uerige alt I had was very much like a Dunkel, with a slight bit more hop bitterness. Perhaps it was an old bottle.
Jesse

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »
The thing to keep in mind is that in general it's only American versions of alt that include Munich.  That's very unlike Ofest.

Kai uses Munich:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kaiser_Alt

He's pretty German ;)

I think the ones in Duesseldorf go from low/no Munich malt character (Uerige) to very evident (Schumacher).

Bitterness goes from medium to very high (Uerige).

Kai's looks like it would make a Schumacher or maybe closer would be Im Fuchschen.
Interesting. The last Uerige alt I had was very much like a Dunkel, with a slight bit more hop bitterness. Perhaps it was an old bottle.

The stated best by is short, 6 to 8 weeks IIRC. Yeah, the malt character changes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:28 pm »
I can tell the difference between Alaskan Amber and Widmer Okto, even if you soak the labels off.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 05:36:43 pm »

I can tell the difference between Alaskan Amber and Widmer Okto, even if you soak the labels off.

I'm sure the fact that Alaskan uses short necks and Widmer uses embossed long necks doesn't hurt your odds.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

I'm sure the fact that Alaskan uses short necks and Widmer uses embossed long necks doesn't hurt your odds.

Dang it!