Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When the therminator is not enough  (Read 1740 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
When the therminator is not enough
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:02 am »
I've been using the Blichmann plate chiller for several years, but now considering a larger unit.  The next step up seems to the Plate-Pro from Sabco, but it's about $800. 

Are there any plate chillers out there bigger than Blichmann, that don't cost so much?

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: When the therminator is not enough
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:46 am »
Duda diesel has several larger ones.  For more plates you could add additional in series, for more volume you could add additional in parallel

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
I've got this one that I ordered and should be here in a couple of days.

B3-36A 40  http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX3640BWGH

I am hoping it can handle the bigger batches I have been doing without going through SO much water.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »
...For more plates you could add additional in series, for more volume you could add additional in parallel...

This is what I would recommend.

Blichmann is the way to go. Most (all?) of the cheaper versions (Duda, Shirron) are made from 304SS instead of 316SS. The 316 stainless offers better protection against corrosion from Chlorides than 304. Especially at higher temps, wort, water, and cleaning solution with even moderate Chloride content is quite corrosive to 304SS. The fact that you can't fully drain the unit doesn't help, either.

Just as well, the Blichmann unit is uber-efficient, easier to clean, and doesn't sit on the ground.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/