Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale  (Read 7872 times)

Offline brandomselect

• 1st Kit
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:47 pm »
The description for this ale says, "One of the classic ale strains from a Northwest U.S. Brewery." Does anybody have any idea what brewery they're talking about, just curious.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
I think it's Hale's yeast, which Mike Hale got from Gale's in the UK when he brewed there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewallday

• 1st Kit
    • Session Beer Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »
That's also what the yeast strain guide (http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm#Wyeast) says on Mr. Malty

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:14 pm »
Looks like Kris and I have the same source then, although most brewers around here have heard the story that Mike got his yeast there (some say he stole it).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
I thought it was Full Sail since Wyeast started off FS.

I just tried it for the first time recently. The starter had blow off, my 30L speidel had blow off. Pitched to 5.5 gal of 1.050 APA on 8/8 and 10 days later its at 1.009 and still has a thick krausen. Nice clean profile though. That will be a tasty summer pale. Can't wait.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »
I thought it was Full Sail since Wyeast started off FS.

Wyeast 1332 is a relatively new addition to the Wyeast culture collection.  While my memory may be failing me, the Wyeast catalog contained the following ale cultures when I started brewing in early 1993:

Wyeast 1007 German Ale
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1098 British Ale (I am fairly sure that it was called Whitbread Ale at that point in time)
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale
Wyeast 1338 European Ale

I also recall that there was also a wheat strain, but I do not recall the number. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:14:11 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:36 pm »
Cool. 1332 is their NW Ale strain and they claim it comes from a local brewery. Like I said, my guess is Full Sail. Just a guess, and I imagine it came from somewhere else before that... I was just amazed at what a beast it was.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »
Jim, you stole tom's avatar.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:56:35 pm »
The similarly end at the goatee.  Tom is a super genius and a handsome devil, where as I am more like Wile E Coyote on both counts. Where is the Doctor anyway? I assume busy brewing and businessing. Has anyone heard from him?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:43 am »
I met Tom at the NHC in Grand Rapids - his talk was on everything about beer dispensing from kegs, line balancing, etc...quite informative.  It sounded like his brewery was taking up a lot of time, together with his academic pursuits kept him very busy.

Great guy.  My takeaway was to change your beer lines periodically, run your beer cleaner backward in the lines, and start with a longish dispense line and trim until the beer foams to the desired level.  (And buy the beer line in bulk!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:21 am »
The similarly end at the goatee.  Tom is a super genius and a handsome devil, where as I am more like Wile E Coyote on both counts. Where is the Doctor anyway? I assume busy brewing and businessing. Has anyone heard from him?

Other than a couple brief emails re: GC stuff, not a peep.  Judging by what he told me at NHC, at this point he's probably up to his elbows in alligators.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:20 am »

Other than a couple brief emails re: GC stuff, not a peep.  Judging by what he told me at NHC, at this point he's probably up to his elbows in alligators.

Yeah, once all the paperwork was in place, he had a very quick build out. He may have lots of SS alligators to wrestle. ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:00:57 pm »
Oh to have a couple of those SS alligators in the garage....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"