Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Malts  (Read 6606 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Briess Malts
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 09:13:40 am »
Let's put some numbers to this:

If a bag of Continental Pils is 55 lbs @ $70 = $1.27/lb

and a bag of Briess Pils is 50 lbs @ $42 (~40% less) = $0.84/lb

Using 10-15 lbs in a 5 gallon batch, that comes to $4.30-$6.45 per batch.

For me, an extra $5 or so is worth it for the highest quality / most traditional ingredients.

In an IPA, you wouldn't use Fuggles instead of Simcoe/Nelson/Mosaic/etc. just to save $5, would you?

Bottom line - since you're unsure of the value, buy a bag of each and brew with both. Compare and judge for yourself.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:55 am »
In an IPA, you wouldn't use Fuggles instead of Simcoe/Nelson/Mosaic/etc. just to save $5, would you?

No, I'd do it because I hate Fuggles!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
I use Avangard Pils for every style other than British ale.  It's a dead ringer for Durst Pils at an unbelievable price point.  My favorite British base malt is Thomas Fawcett Pearl.  I do not brew West Coast-style American ale (life is too short to spend it immersed in citrus and pine :) ).
Now that I've been brewing a lot more lagers, I've been contemplating buying a sack of good-quality Pils and just using that and/or MO for all my base malt needs. You may have finally convinced me. An I do brew West-Coast style American ale (I don't get enough fruit in my diet...) :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 11:28:46 am »

Now that I've been brewing a lot more lagers, I've been contemplating buying a sack of good-quality Pils and just using that and/or MO for all my base malt needs. You may have finally convinced me. An I do brew West-Coast style American ale (I don't get enough fruit in my diet...) :)

I'm looking to brew the La Cumbre 'Project Dank' IPA recipe in the last issue of Zymurgy, and it uses IIRC Canadian Pils as the base malt. In addition to LARGE amounts of hops,   :) .   I'm intrigued by the idea of the pils malt combined with that hopping level. We'll see how it comes out.

EDIT  -  I brew West Coast ales (clearly). Life's too short NOT to brew and drink citrusy, piney beers, aside from any number of other styles.     ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:54:34 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 06:26:50 am »

I'm looking to brew the La Cumbre 'Project Dank' IPA recipe in the last issue of Zymurgy, and it uses IIRC Canadian Pils as the base malt. In addition to LARGE amounts of hops,   :) .   I'm intrigued by the idea of the pils malt combined with that hopping level. We'll see how it comes out.

EDIT  -  I brew West Coast ales (clearly). Life's too short NOT to brew and drink citrusy, piney beers, aside from any number of other styles.     ;)
If I want citrus and pine, I can get it commercially. But if I want peach/mango/pineapple with a touch of dank citrus, or any other combo like that I have to do it myself if I want it done right (and fresh). As far as the pils malt thing goes, I have a few hoppy lagers under my belt and I think Pils malt works just as well as US 2-row with hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 07:07:18 am »

If I want citrus and pine, I can get it commercially. But if I want peach/mango/pineapple with a touch of dank citrus, or any other combo like that I have to do it myself if I want it done right (and fresh). As far as the pils malt thing goes, I have a few hoppy lagers under my belt and I think Pils malt works just as well as US 2-row with hops.

Yeah, I've used pils in IPLs and liked it, not with quite that hop schedule. I'm sure it's great. As for the hops, I don't spend a lot of time trying to duplicate commercial beers either - I'd rather experiment with new hops and combos. But I also decided I don't want 5 gallons of fruit bomb APA or IPA as a rule, so there is generally some combo of pine/dank, citrus, floral, and fruity hop characters for most of mine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:19:23 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »

Any day of the week!  However, I brew traditional IPA.  Fuggle is a traditional IPA cultivar.

Edit:  I love Fuggle, especially UK Fuggle.   Yum!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:17:58 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one who keeps a pound of fuggles in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton