Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Differing AAU ratings for same hops  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Bill Wallace

• 1st Kit
Differing AAU ratings for same hops
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »
Newbie here so be gentle.  I have a whole grain recipe to replicate Sierra Pale Ale that calls for Bittering Hops of 1 oz of Cascade at 5.7 AAU and Flavoring Hops of 3oz Cascade at 4.9 AAU. 

Here's the dumb question: wouldn't Cascade Hops all have roughly the same AAU or is there some way I adjust this?  Or is this the wrong question altogether?  What do I need to know here? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Differing AAU ratings for same hops
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »
Newbie here so be gentle.  I have a whole grain recipe to replicate Sierra Pale Ale that calls for Bittering Hops of 1 oz of Cascade at 5.7 AAU and Flavoring Hops of 3oz Cascade at 4.9 AAU. 

Here's the dumb question: wouldn't Cascade Hops all have roughly the same AAU or is there some way I adjust this?  Or is this the wrong question altogether?  What do I need to know here?

Different crops from different locations can have different characteristics.  Terroir plays into it, just like with wine.  To make subs, multiply the AA by the weight to get HBU (homebrew bittering units).  For instance, one oz. of 5% AA hops is equivalent in bittering to 2 oz. of 2.5% AA hops.  You can ust that for any hops added before about 20 min, to end of boil.  From that point on to the end of boil, you get mainly flavor and aroma and very little to no bittering.  For addition 20 min. or under, go by weight.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:26 pm »
That's a bit odd, but my guess is that the person who wrote the recipe had bags from two different crops/years/sources and they varied a bit. Denny's answer is correct, but we all knew that didn't we?  :D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Bill Wallace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:01:40 pm »
It's from the recipes in the back of "Homebrewing for Dummies" by Marty Nachel.  I'm not a big fan of the "Dummies" series, but the recipe looked interesting.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »
It's from the recipes in the back of "Homebrewing for Dummies" by Marty Nachel.  I'm not a big fan of the "Dummies" series, but the recipe looked interesting.

If you want way too much feedback on it feel free to post it here!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:10 pm »

Check pout the AHA recipe wiki, too.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bill Wallace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:20:08 pm »
Thank you, Denny.  That recipe index is a nice reference.

I think I figger'd out my original question.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a package of any given hop, (hops??) there should be an AAU number.  So if a recipe calls for 8 AAU and the hop package states an AAU content of 6, you'd want to go with 1-1/3 oz of that particular hop. (1 oz gives you 6 AAU and  1/3 of 6 is 2, so add it to 6 to get the neede 8 AAU)  So the AAU is stated on a recipe to adjust for seasonal variations in AAU. 

Am I gettin' this or what?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »
Thank you, Denny.  That recipe index is a nice reference.

I think I figger'd out my original question.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a package of any given hop, (hops??) there should be an AAU number.  So if a recipe calls for 8 AAU and the hop package states an AAU content of 6, you'd want to go with 1-1/3 oz of that particular hop. (1 oz gives you 6 AAU and  1/3 of 6 is 2, so add it to 6 to get the neede 8 AAU)  So the AAU is stated on a recipe to adjust for seasonal variations in AAU. 

Am I gettin' this or what?

Close,

the package will likely tell you the AA (Alpha Acid) percentage. The calculation to determine AAU is AA% times  ounces. so if you have a package of cascade hops labels as 8.9% AA and you add 1 ounce at 60 minutes you have added 8.9 AAU.

this is very rough but gets you close to the level of bitterness you can expect the finished product. once you are good and hooked you can learn about some more complex calculations or get some software to do the math for you.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Bill Wallace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:42 pm »
This is almost as much fun as hand-loading.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:28 am »

I am sure that means something different than what I think it means.  8)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »

I am sure that means something different than what I think it means.  8)
I'll take "squeezing off a round" for $100, Alex  :o
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer