Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: porter feedback  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
porter feedback
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:35 am »
Looking for feedback/ideas. I usually do pretty simple grain bills but I have a hard time doing that with porters. Normally, I would not have the munich or brown malt but I think it will help achieve what I am looking for. This is actually a base recipe for this year's pumpkin batch...

From memory it is something like:
Two row 44%
Munich 34%
Crystal 80 8%
Brown Malt 8%
Chocolate 4%
Carafa I Special 2%

OG 1.057
Northern Brewer at 60 and 10 min for ~25 IBUs
S04 yeast

Be gentle. I don't brew dark beers very often...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:18:50 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: porter feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:40 am »
I think it looks good. Personally I'd drop the carafa and just go chocolate malt all way. But whatever.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:52 am »
+1.  Looks pretty solid. Be sure to post how it comes out.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:45 am »
Cool thanks. I am definitely not opposed to going chocolate all the way. I usually only use darker roasted malts in very small amounts for color adjustment and complexity.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
Looks good to me...but if I were brewing it  I'd drop the chocolate malt altogether (but that's just me...I think it throws the flavor out of balance and contributes harsh notes), and stick with some carafa (though I personally  use carafa III special).
My porters also improved a great deal when I started using larger amounts of caramel malt, especially very dark caramel malts (and up to a full pind of that). German CaraAroma malt also works smashingly well in porter.
Contrary to one might expect, he caramel malts don't make the end product out of balance on the sweet end of things at all...in fact the color and roastiness that comes from the dark caramel is quite intense...and delicious.

Just opinions, that's all.  In the end it all depends on what kind of flavor profile and mouthfeel you're going after.
If you were going for an historically authentic porter, you'd probably wind up with the simplest grain bill of all:   all, or nearly all, brown malt.

Do you hav a favorite commercial example of the style??
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:32:36 am »
As per another current thread, if you are going to use Brown malt, use Fawcett!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:31 am »
As per another current thread, if you are going to use Brown malt, use Fawcett!

Haha yeah I started that other thread. I will be using Bairds

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:34 pm »
Looks good to me...but if I were brewing it  I'd drop the chocolate malt altogether (but that's just me...I think it throws the flavor out of balance and contributes harsh notes), and stick with some carafa (though I personally  use carafa III special).
My porters also improved a great deal when I started using larger amounts of caramel malt, especially very dark caramel malts (and up to a full pind of that). German CaraAroma malt also works smashingly well in porter.
Contrary to one might expect, he caramel malts don't make the end product out of balance on the sweet end of things at all...in fact the color and roastiness that comes from the dark caramel is quite intense...and delicious.

Just opinions, that's all.  In the end it all depends on what kind of flavor profile and mouthfeel you're going after.
If you were going for an historically authentic porter, you'd probably wind up with the simplest grain bill of all:   all, or nearly all, brown malt.

Do you hav a favorite commercial example of the style??

Thanks for the input.

Honestly I am not sure which commercial examples I am trying to mimic. I really like Black Butte and Cutthroat by Odell but I haven't had either of them in a bit. I definitely don't want anything too roasty so I like your idea of using some darker crystal malts. I think I have a pound of crystal 80 in there but I may consider going with some 120 in place or in addition to.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
Chocolate malt isn't going to give you darker roast "burnt" flavors. That would come from the roasted barley or black patent. I prefer chocolate malt in my porters because I like them more light coffee/chocolate flavored. Carafa husklless malts, IMO, are great for beers like schwarzbiers and can work for porters but I personally prefer my porters a little more robust.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 04:02:38 pm »
Lots of different approaches for porter, though. I like robust porter a lot and use chocolate and black patent for a nice roasty bite, and then balance it out with dark crystal - between 90 and 120L usually. And I love the Munich in porter and stout, for a nice malty base. But I have used brown in porter a few times and liked it really well, too.
Jon H.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »
...And I love the Munich in porter and stout, for a nice malty base...

A big +1 on that.
These days, at least some Munich (and often quite a bit of it)  finds its way into most of the ales and porters I make.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:57 pm »
Thanks everyone. It seems like I have a decent starting point. I will just have to go forward and make tweaks in subsequent batches as usual.

Do you think the amount of munich I have in there is decent? It works out to about 4 lbs for a 5 gallon batch.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »
Thanks everyone. It seems like I have a decent starting point. I will just have to go forward and make tweaks in subsequent batches as usual.

Do you think the amount of munich I have in there is decent? It works out to about 4 lbs for a 5 gallon batch.

Yep, that's plenty. It'll be a good beer !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »
Chocolate malt isn't going to give you darker roast "burnt" flavors. That would come from the roasted barley or black patent. I prefer chocolate malt in my porters because I like them more light coffee/chocolate flavored. Carafa husklless malts, IMO, are great for beers like schwarzbiers and can work for porters but I personally prefer my porters a little more robust.
Yeah, I was wondering about the Carafa myself. I think of Carafa as a color-corrector more than anything else, and I don't see the need for that in a porter. Personally, I like a bit more bite in my porters and end up going 5% chocolate and 5% roast barley for my roasted grains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 05:14:35 am »
I like a little black patent or roasted barley in mine as well, but in a dark chocolate/black coffee guy.