Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: porter feedback  (Read 4538 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: porter feedback
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:56 am »
The Odell Cutthroat is a brown porter style versus robust porter of the Black Butte. Odell is one of the best porters in the US, in my opinion. Brown malt definitely makes the style. I wouldn't bother with roasted barley or carafa and just go with the chocolate as your roasted malt, if a less robust, brown porter is what you're going for.
Jesse

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:33 am »
I use a mix of pale chocolate, chocolate, and brown malt in my porters. With heavier use of the pale chocolate and brown malt. Some crystal 80 and 120 is quite tasty as well. My porter recipes tend to be very busy but still not muddled.
Kyle M.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 08:46:54 am »
The Odell Cutthroat is a brown porter style versus robust porter of the Black Butte. Odell is one of the best porters in the US, in my opinion. Brown malt definitely makes the style. I wouldn't bother with roasted barley or carafa and just go with the chocolate as your roasted malt, if a less robust, brown porter is what you're going for.

Although interestingly enough Black Butte is just chocolate and crystal for color while Cutthroat has crystal, brown malt, chocolate and roasted barley. Obviously many ways to skin this cat.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »

Although interestingly enough Black Butte is just chocolate and crystal for color while Cutthroat has crystal, brown malt, chocolate and roasted barley. Obviously many ways to skin this cat.
Right, and they're very different beers. I very much prefer the Cutthroat to the Black Butte. Also, Summit's Great Northern Porter is very similar to Cutthroat and awesome.
Jesse

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:57 am »
I've been working on my own Robust Porter recipe for a few years now and it has gotten VERY close to how I like it.  Although my friends (and I) thoroughly enjoy my latest version, it only scored a 32 at an AHA-sanctioned homebrewing competition when I thought it would be a little higher.  I know how competitions work and that there are LOTS of influences that go into a score but, the other entry that I thought was the weakest scored a 1st place.

My point is to start off with what you think (based on your own experiences, other's recipes, and invaluable advice from everyone on this great forum) and tweak it on the next batch until you are happy with it.  You will almost never get it right the first time.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »
I have brewed some decent porters in the past but it has been awhile.

I am hoping to get to the pumpkin version of this next week. I go pretty light on the spices so they will likely be an afterthought in the finished product. I have decided to go with chocolate malt as the only dark roasted malt along with the brown malt. In future batches, I may use a bit of roasted barley or carafa it is seems to be needed but I am trying to limit the number of grain types if at all possible.

I think I need to do some research about the differences between brown and robust porters. It seems the roasted quality, alcohol, and bitterness would be the main differences but I perceive some brown porters as robust...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:02:42 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale