Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Mild  (Read 18214 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American Mild
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:15 am »
Y know, I can't imagine why 6 row would add mouthfeel.  Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I think the next version will include 60 min. hops as well as dry hopping.  I realized I was still using British mild too much as a model.  I want some of the characteristics, but a decidedly American character.

I was thinking more on the flavor aspect. Since 2 row tastes very neutral to me, and 6 row has a robust grainy flavor in addition to being a very american ingredient. I still think you need flaked rye to add mouthfeel.

I've considered that, but at this point I'm not sure I want the flavor from it. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:47 am »
Y know, I can't imagine why 6 row would add mouthfeel.  Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I think the next version will include 60 min. hops as well as dry hopping.  I realized I was still using British mild too much as a model.  I want some of the characteristics, but a decidedly American character.

I was thinking more on the flavor aspect. Since 2 row tastes very neutral to me, and 6 row has a robust grainy flavor in addition to being a very american ingredient. I still think you need flaked rye to add mouthfeel.

How about I brew it, and send ya a couple of bottles. :D
Kyle M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:33 am »

How about I brew it, and send ya a couple of bottles. :D

SOLD!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2014, 10:23:36 am »
I'm hoping to find the time to brew this weekend.
Here is what I have planned, so far.
The recipe is based off of Denny's Noti Brown recipe. I scaled down the grain bill and the IBU's and switched up hops to what I have on hand.
Any thoughts?

NJ mild - Mild
================================================================================
Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 80%
OG: 1.039
FG: 1.011
ABV: 3.6%
Bitterness: 22.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 17 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
                       Name  Type    Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
       Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain  5.500 lb    Yes   No   79%   2 L
 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain  1.500 lb    Yes   No   74%  60 L
                Munich Malt Grain 12.000 oz    Yes   No   80%   9 L
        Chocolate Malt (US) Grain  6.000 oz    Yes   No   60% 350 L
Total grain: 8.125 lb

Hops
       Name Alpha   Amount  Use       Time   Form IBU
 Cluster  8.1% 0.300 oz Boil 90.000 min Pellet 8.6
 Willamette  5.0% 0.250 oz Boil 45.000 min Pellet 3.8
 Willamette  5.0% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 6.3
 Willamette  5.0% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 4.1
 Target  8.9% 0.300 oz Boil    0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
   Name Type Form   Amount   Stage
 bry-97  Ale  Dry 0.388 oz Primary

Mash
               Name     Type    Amount      Temp    Target       Time
         Conversion Infusion 4.063 gal 166.061 F 156.000 F 60.000 min
 Final Batch Sparge Infusion 4.494 gal 175.616 F 165.200 F 15.000 min
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:49 pm »
Looks interesting.  With only 8 lb. of grain you should try it as a no sparge.

I've come to the realization that it's folly to compare this beer to a British mild in any way other than body and gravity.  I'm not interested in emulating British color or flavor.  I want a distinctly Am. flavor to it.  Kinda like a very hoppy, low gravity pale ale.  I ended up dry hopping the last batch with Simcoe and it really improved it.  I have ideas for v3 that I'll write up and post late next week.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »
By no sparge you mean mashing at a normal 1.25-2 qt per pound then adding the rest of the liquor before running off (sparging)? Not looking to start a mash-in v. dough-in debate, it just doesn't click in my head.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
By no sparge you mean mashing at a normal 1.25-2 qt per pound then adding the rest of the liquor before running off (sparging)? Not looking to start a mash-in v. dough-in debate, it just doesn't click in my head.

When I do no sparge I either mash a little thinner to start with or add a psuedo-mashout step to get the rest of the water in there as you suggest. If the grist is the right size you often don't have to bother with the mashout step.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »
When I do no sparge I either mash a little thinner to start with or add a psuedo-mashout step to get the rest of the water in there as you suggest. If the grist is the right size you often don't have to bother with the mashout step.

Well, the right size grist thing happens with big beers anyhow. I just could never figure out what to do with the rest of the water on small beers. It would save me about 20 minutes on a brewday if my cooler had capacity. I think I will have room this weekend to try it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:16 pm »

Well, the right size grist thing happens with big beers anyhow. I just could never figure out what to do with the rest of the water on small beers. It would save me about 20 minutes on a brewday if my cooler had capacity. I think I will have room this weekend to try it.

Yeah, I go with a mashout on smaller beers. I figure it MIGHT help 'lock in' a less fermentable profile but I'm probably whistling past graveyards there.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »

Yep, that's what I do with mine.  4 gal. to mash, add another 4 gal. before runoff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:26 pm »
My Junior Brown v1.0 is at 1.012 after a whopping 7 days. Some yeast still on top. Sample tasted slightly more roasty that I think I desire, but not overly. Maybe some will drop out. Not much hop aroma either to I tossed in an once of Cascade pellets. Ill give it another week and keg it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »
I'm loving the idea of this beer - I think I'm gonna give one a try soon. I spent a couple years on the 'session IPA' idea and decided that the hopping levels were tough to balance out for the most part on a 4% beer (though I found one that I think is pretty decent). Mostly though, I think an IPA should be ~ 6.5+ abv, not 2+% less.  But the American mild is a cool idea - it's maltier, lower abv, hoppy, but more in the hoppy APA vein in my mind than an outright AIPA. Gonna have to work on a recipe of my own.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:17:14 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »
I'm loving the idea of this beer - I think I'm gonna give one a try soon. I spent a couple years on the 'session IPA' idea and decided that the hopping levels were tough to balance out for the most part on a 4% beer, though I found one that I think is pretty decent. Honestly though, I mostly think an IPA should be 6.5+ abv.  But the American mild is a cool idea - it's maltier, lower abv, hoppy, but more in the hoppy APA vein in my mind than an outright AIPA. Gonna have to work on a recipe of my own.

Agreed. Thats why I'm in. Done well, I think it will be a whole new beast. I agree with Dennys comments that it wont be much like a UK mild, but the name is so catchy. But the "Session" lable links beers too much to the base style.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »
I'm late to the party, but I like the concept.  I just finished off a British Mild keg based on Cigar City's "El Lector".  It was great, so my thought is to brew up a 10 gallon batch more in line with the concept here, but to split the batch between a couple/few different ale yeasts, including the 1450, the NW Ale and maybe a 1056...

Definitely peeking my interest, as a rarely push for anything much above 4.5% ABV.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »
I'm thinking that the Hellion ale by Trve Brewing might be in this "category".  I may base mine on that, but cut back on the oats a bit.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"