Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Mild  (Read 18277 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American Mild
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 03:20:10 pm »
I got amazing efficiency...89% brewhouse for a no sparge!  Ended up at 1.040 OG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
I got amazing efficiency...89% brewhouse for a no sparge!  Ended up at 1.040 OG.

that is amazing for no sparge. I generally aim for the mid to low 60's no sparge
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »
My 2 cents is that late hops get syrupy fast when combined with low OG. I don't know how to describe it mathematically but IBU/OG is not the only consideration for balancing a small beer.

I have a 1046 OG pale ale (90% pale malt, 10% crystal 10, 23 IBU) right now with 0.6oz. Citra late and it still tastes like a lot of hops flavor to me.  But for some reason I am in to malty beer right now. So maybe it's just me.

I love the experiment. I want to brew the final version for sure.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »
Have you considered flaked barley, or do you not like the taste?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:24 pm »

I love the view that you have looking out your window.   

I would like to take a whack at the recipe when you perfect it. 

Offline arustyt

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Thanks for posting this Denny. I really like the idea.  I have recently started brewing some low ABV styles. (I want to decrease my alcohol intake but not beer intake.) I've brewed a Scottish 60/- and English Mild that I'm pretty happy with.  I like American styles so I brewed an American Red aiming at the low end of the gravity range. The concept of an American Mild sounds like an excellent next step down the low ABV path.
It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 08:50:39 am »
that is amazing for no sparge. I generally aim for the mid to low 60's no sparge

Yeah, but I think something's wrong.  I just pulled that from Promash.  When I calculate it manually, I get about 76%.  I think that"s correct and I must have something set wrong in Promash.  Still. 76% is pretty respectable.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:35 am »
Have you considered flaked barley, or do you not like the taste?

I've considered it, but yeah, I'm not a huge fan of tha flavor.  But at this point nothing is off the table until I taste this version.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:54:06 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:53 am »
still respectable indeed.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 08:55:56 am »

I love the view that you have looking out your window.   

I would like to take a whack at the recipe when you perfect it.

Thanks!  The PVC is where our blueberries are, then down the hill is the river and across the river is that big hill.  It had just been logged off when we bought the place 20 years ago.  Probably they'll log it again in the next 10 years.  But it certainly is a nice view when I brew!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:59 am »

Yeah, but I think something's wrong.  I just pulled that from Promash.  When I calculate it manually, I get about 76%.  I think that"s correct and I must have something set wrong in Promash.  Still. 76% is pretty respectable.
Did you mash with the full volume of liquor for the batch, or did you target a mash thickness and top off in the kettle? Somewhere near 4qt/lb (which is session beer territory for me) I start to see a drop in efficiency.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
Did you mash with the full volume of liquor for the batch, or did you target a mash thickness and top off in the kettle? Somewhere near 4qt/lb (which is session beer territory for me) I start to see a drop in efficiency.

I mashed with 4 gal./, which is 2 qt./lb.  Then I added another 4 gal. to the tun before runoff.  I guess that might make it "semi no sparge".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:38 am »

I mashed with 4 gal./, which is 2 qt./lb.  Then I added another 4 gal. to the tun before runoff.  I guess that might make it "semi no sparge".

I just call it a no sparge with mashout as I use hot hot (180+) water for that top of in the mash tun
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 09:46:47 am »
I'd call it a Double Infusion

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:49 am »
I'd call it a Double Infusion

Double infusion no sparge hoo haw

www.dennybrew.com