Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stout Tanks vs. Blichmann  (Read 5936 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Stout Tanks vs. Blichmann
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:55 am »
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

Has anyone had experience in comparing a Stout Tanks conical fermenter and a Blichmann conical?  There seems to be a very large difference in price.  I understand that the Stout Tanks have welds, and the Blichmanns don't.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Stout Tanks vs. Blichmann
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:04 am »
Blichmann are the highest-quality, most versatile fermentation vessels available (less lab-grade yeast propagation equipment). I ask Santa for one every Christmas.

Check out the pictures and a comparison of similar models here:

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/fermentor/fermentor.html

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:54:08 am »
I've done business with both. One of my RIMS modules is from Stout Tanks... Thought about also getting a mashtun, HLT and boil kettle from them, but it was going to take 2-3 months to get it since they come from China.  I have a buddy that bought a mashtun and boil kettle from Stout tanks.  It was the 10 gal. model... except that it only holds 9.2 gallons.... They are nice kettles, but I ended up splurging and buying Blichmann 20 Gal Kettles for my mashtun, HLT and boil kettles because I didn't want to wait + they are made in the USA.    A few other places you should take a look at is maybe www.glaciertanks.com or www.brewershardware.com .  Glacier Tanks is fast! They have a pretty cool RIMS module that is nice too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:56:34 am by AleForce »
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline Beerboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »
I was gonna get the Blichmann 7 gal Fermenator but it has ball valves and the Stout Conical 7.3 gal fermenter came with butterfly valves for less. Plus it comes with a thermometer port with thermometer.  Issues with the ball valves harboring bacteria that could taint your brew just don't cut it.