Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6-row Maltsters Differences/Preferences  (Read 1945 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
6-row Maltsters Differences/Preferences
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:32:34 am »
Hi All,

I was going to buy a bag of 6-row this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had a particular preference for a maltster/brand for 6-row. I have only used Canada Malting co., and was quite pleased. However, there could of course be better ones out there, so I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 6-row Maltsters Differences/Preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
Both Rahr and Briess also have 6 row, but I only used it once in an American Pre-pro lager and really could not tell any difference.  I also can't recall if it was an American barley or not.  I was told that the 6 row has higher diastatic enzyme action, so it can help convert more adjuncts and has a bit mor of some type of saccharides, but I don't recall the specifics at the moment.  So, give any brand a try on a known recipe and see if you notice the difference from 2 row.  I would like to hear your thoughts.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:57:44 am »
I have only found and used Briess 6 row at the LHBSs in my area. Would be nice to try another.

IIRC, about half of the barley grown in the plains is 6 Row. Almost all from the NW is 2 row.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:30:25 am »
Both Rahr and Briess also have 6 row, but I only used it once in an American Pre-pro lager and really could not tell any difference.  I also can't recall if it was an American barley or not.  I was told that the 6 row has higher diastatic enzyme action, so it can help convert more adjuncts and has a bit mor of some type of saccharides, but I don't recall the specifics at the moment.  So, give any brand a try on a known recipe and see if you notice the difference from 2 row.  I would like to hear your thoughts.

FWIW, these days 2 row barley has almost identical diastatic power as 6 row.  It is no longer necessary to use 6 row just for added enzymes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

FWIW, these days 2 row barley has almost identical diastatic power as 6 row.  It is no longer necessary to use 6 row just for added enzymes.
NA 2 row is in the 150-160 lintner range these days. 6 row has gone up to 180 Lintner from what I have read. Those are both so high that there is little difference, so like Denny says, you don't need it for the high enzymatic power anymore.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »
Is their that big of a difference between 2 and 6 row?
Jimmykx250

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »
I've used Briess, Rahr and CMC. CMC has higher extract but other than that I haven't noticed anything different.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:17:35 pm »
Is their that big of a difference between 2 and 6 row?

I have found them to be pretty distinct. 2-row is quite neutral in flavor, while 6 row has a grainy flavor. I also taste 6 row as a little having a little grapey flavor. Makes great cream ales and classic American pilsners.

For what it is worth, I bought schreier 6 row.
Kyle M.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:58:42 am »
I have used Rahr, Briess, and Schreier 6-row and haven't noticed that much of a difference, either.

FWIW, the local store here doesn't stock 6-row.  I have found that a fair approximation to the grainy flavor of 6-row can be somewhat approximated by using 10% flaked barley with American 2-row.

The knock against using flaked barley in a pils is that it will be cloudy, but lagering will clear it up.