Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeast  (Read 38833 times)

Offline Greg D

• 1st Kit
Re: Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeast
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
Have some great results to report.   

Did a very basic Bavarian style Hefeweizen with just .5 oz Northern Brewer hops at 59 minutes.   Was all about showcasing this M20 yeast.

Double pitched it and had to use a blow off for the days of chugging. 

It tastes like you just bit into and are chewing a banana.   And then it leaves you with
a tongue full of Indian Malibar Coast fresh ground black pepper.   Forget the cloves, this does go
straight to dried black pepper.

I would suggest a single pitch as in my experience that is hopefully less than what is needed to prevent a blow off.

Magnificent beer indeed. 
Total twist on Bavarian Wheat with a true base.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2014, 07:38:27 am »

I did an IPA with Workhorse.  The beer tastes good but it finished a little high (1.018 from 1.056, 66.7% attenuation).  Curious to see if other people have had similar attenuations with this yeast.

I did a porter with the West Coast IPA yeast and got 77.6% attenuation which I was pretty happy with....
I've only heard of a couple of people having good attenuation with the Workhorse. Just do yourself a favor and don't use Mangrove Jack's!
I made a cream ale with Workhorse. It went from 1.048 to 1.015 for 68% attenuation. I'm fairly disappointed with that, especially for a relatively low alcohol beer with a high proportion of corn!

I was taken in by the 'lager and ale yeast' claim. But it doesn't ferment below 60F anyway. Dammit US-05 ferments at 60F! I think that lager claim is dubious.

Might be good for a 3% session ale though.
Now that it's carbonated I'm not thrilled with the flavor.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »
I'm going to use their U.S. West Coast Ale M-44 tomorrow for a Blind Pig IPA clone, fermented around 64F.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:36 am »
I'm going to use their U.S. West Coast Ale M-44 tomorrow for a Blind Pig IPA clone, fermented around 64F.  I'll let you know how it goes.
I had a pack of this left and decided to take the risk on a pale ale this past Sunday. It is likely the last time I will ever use Mangrove Jack's yeast. I hope I can actually get this one to attenuate lower than 1.016. Fingers crossed...
Jesse

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 10:48:42 am »
I had a pack of this left and decided to take the risk on a pale ale this past Sunday. It is likely the last time I will ever use Mangrove Jack's yeast. I hope I can actually get this one to attenuate lower than 1.016. Fingers crossed...

Beersk-bro,

Sorry for taking so long to reply - my last 3 evenings have been busy.  Anyway, if you still are fermenting your beer, check out the following "Fermentation Observations" from the yeast description at Rebel Brewer:

Fermentation Observations:

Quick to start, this strain will linger through primary and secondary fermentation, achieving final gravity after 2 weeks. Krausen will be dense and creamy, occasionally voluminous. Patience in conditioning will reward brewers with a nicely dry, yeast -neutral beer.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/dry-yeast/west-coast-ale-dry-yeast-m44/

The M-44 was recommended to me at my LHBS for PA and IPA, as cleaner, more hop-focused, and more attenuative than US-05.  He was saying that US-05 attenuaes to about 76% and M-44 to around 78%.  Patience my friend!

As for being a quick starter (per the article above), I'm not convinced since after rehydration and held at 64F for 30 hrs and then up to 65F, my beer took a full +48 hrs to form a decent krauesen.  It does appear to be a slow, steady fermenting yeast.  Cheers and good luck with your brew. ;D

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »
Thanks. Those were my observations as well. It's still going fairly steadily, although not as much as it was yesterday. It took a good 36-48 hours before it was going at full steam. I just pitched the packet, dry, into 4 gallons of 1.054 wort. Be nice if it finished at 1.012.
Jesse

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 08:06:28 am »
I used the Newcastle yeast in a mild.
OG was 1.040 finished at 1.010. 75% attenuation.
The beer turned out really well.
I'd would use again.
I also did a bitter with the Burton yeast.
THis one is still in the fermenter. After a week it went from 1.046 to 1.015.
Not great attenuation but not terrible either, 67% attenuation.
The sample tasted fine, definitly got some English type esters going on.
It wasn't any more cloudy then any other yeast I have used.
I'm going to let that one sit for a while at 70, to see if it drops a few more points by next weekend.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:52 am »
Thanks. Those were my observations as well. It's still going fairly steadily, although not as much as it was yesterday. It took a good 36-48 hours before it was going at full steam. I just pitched the packet, dry, into 4 gallons of 1.054 wort. Be nice if it finished at 1.012.
My pale ale surprisingly finished at 1.009. Still will be the last time I use Mangrove Jacks.
Jesse

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 10:41:29 am »
My Blind Pig IPA came out great using it, and the beer was much clearer when racking from primary to keg due to very good flocculation.  I'm using it a second time tomorrow when I brew an all-citra IPA.  It was surprisingly clean given the long lag phase.  I wouldn't be surprised if its clean profile has partly to do with the slow ferment time.  I know that slower ferments yield a cleaner fruit wine with more aromatics than a hotter, faster ferment.