Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Here is my method for Managing Your Brewing Schedule using a Gantt style chart  (Read 1765 times)

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
Here is my method for Managing Your Brewing Schedule using a Gantt style chart in a spreadsheet

Full post on my blog:

http://fermware.com/?p=1148

I really love Gantt charts and how they can help you to be organized. Microsoft Project is either a really good or really bad tool to use (depending on who you ask). I actually like it for projects that I manage at work, but I don’t get into the fine details. I just use it for basic timelines, since it really helps me see the big picture. I started looking at using it for my fermentation schedules, but in brewing, your yeast are on a 24/7 schedule and I was finding all sorts of roadblocks in using 24 hour schedules in Project.

I ultimately decided to go back to my old trusted Excel spreadsheets for this task. This format has served me well for the last two years. I don’t claim that this is the ultimate way to do it, but it might at least serve as inspiration for someone else to create something grander.

narvin

Way to take the fun out of it  ;)

I like that you did it in excel... project seems like an awful tool to me, but I'm an engineer so maybe I'm expecting something that actually works.

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
yea, Excel (or something that can open it) is accessible by 100% of those with a computer.  Project, not so much.  And Project is really overkill anyway.