Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: And So the Solera Begins  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: And So the Solera Begins
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:20 pm »
I do remember an article, in Zymurgy I'm pretty sure, from years ago for an ale made with Flor Sherry and oak aged. They calculated the volume/surface ratio of a large barrel, scaled down to 5 gallons, and found that a wooden blug in the top of a carboy should provide the same O2 permeability.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:54 pm »
Why did you wax?  I didn't do this to my barrel and its going ok, going on year two I think.  In fact I need to pull and replace soon.

The idea of waxing is to make the small 20 liter barrel behave more like a 200-400 liter barrel in terms of o2 diffusion. From what I have read it works to some extent.

Interested piqued. What sources do you have for this?

http://www.funkfactorygeuzeria.com/2012/02/paraffin-waxing-barrel.html
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
I'll have to get a bottle to you as your somewhat responsible for this madness!

SWEET
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:18 pm »
Why did you wax?  I didn't do this to my barrel and its going ok, going on year two I think.  In fact I need to pull and replace soon.

The idea of waxing is to make the small 20 liter barrel behave more like a 200-400 liter barrel in terms of o2 diffusion. From what I have read it works to some extent.

I read about it here via a suggestion on this forum actually. I have reservations that it would actually work exactly the same as beeswax and paraffin must have some o2 permeability themselves but if it reduces it a bit that's good. and as I said, it wasn't hard.

I also saw a chart, I think from Vinnie Cilurzo that specified different containers and their o2 permeability. the difference between a 20 liter barrel and a 200 liter is huge. glass is still higher than the big barrel.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »

I read about it here via a suggestion on this forum actually. I have reservations that it would actually work exactly the same as beeswax and paraffin must have some o2 permeability themselves but if it reduces it a bit that's good. and as I said, it wasn't hard.

I also saw a chart, I think from Vinnie Cilurzo that specified different containers and their o2 permeability. the difference between a 20 liter barrel and a 200 liter is huge. glass is still higher than the big barrel.

Excellent. Thanks!

I'll be following this thread for updates on whether this works well/for how long.  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:39:43 am »
Resurrecting this thread to see how the solera brews turned out.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:50:05 am »
I was going to pull a portion about two months ago but upon tasting it was actually quite bland. there was some funk, nearly 0 sourness. I have some other sour projects going as well and will pull a portion one of these days for blending but have not had time as of yet. thankfully sour beer is very patient.

there are no signs of too much o2 contact so the waxing seems to have worked to some extent.

one of the other sour projects I have going is a 2 gallon batch of IPA wort that was fermented with the same yeast blend as what's in the barrel. in fact the same cake that was months old in my fridge. it's pretty asertively funky sour at this point so I may well blend the barrel portion with that when it's time.

I will need, due to other timing issues, to make this decision and get a second round into the barrel.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 11:39:11 am »
I was going to pull a portion about two months ago but upon tasting it was actually quite bland. there was some funk, nearly 0 sourness. I have some other sour projects going as well and will pull a portion one of these days for blending but have not had time as of yet. thankfully sour beer is very patient.

there are no signs of too much o2 contact so the waxing seems to have worked to some extent.

one of the other sour projects I have going is a 2 gallon batch of IPA wort that was fermented with the same yeast blend as what's in the barrel. in fact the same cake that was months old in my fridge. it's pretty asertively funky sour at this point so I may well blend the barrel portion with that when it's time.

I will need, due to other timing issues, to make this decision and get a second round into the barrel.

If you're looking to get another round going you could rack some to secondary and add more bugs/dregs/etc. to it there prior to bottling. This may kick things off a bit more in the first batch and will keep the solera project moving along.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:29 am »
I started my Solera last year on the basis of this thread and it is progressing nicely on the second round of topping off.  I blend about 5:1 new to barrel aged ratio after trying a slightly greater barrel aged proportion that seemed a bit too bourbon intense.  As it mellows further, I may alter the ratio toward greater barrel aged potion.  It is interesting to do blendings and every six months or so I have something cool to do.  Waiting on a pellicle from this past May to subside a bit on the glass to make my next blend. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 09:06:04 am »
Hey Jonathan, we will have to do another bottle swap sometime. I have a solera going now too in a jack Daniels bbls that was resources as a red wine bbl that is now resourced as a solera. Gonna be a while though.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:21 am »
Hey Jonathan, we will have to do another bottle swap sometime. I have a solera going now too in a jack Daniels bbls that was resources as a red wine bbl that is now resourced as a solera. Gonna be a while though.

for sure! I've also got a super cherry-y sour that's half over a year old and half about 3 months along.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »
Jonathon and Major -  I would be glad to be in on that exchange - plus in addition to my Flanders Solera, I have a Blackberry Brett Saison that is almost ready for racking off the fruit, if that might be of interest...it would be worth it for me just to get your honest feedback, as I am (relatively) new to the sour/funk side of the hobby.  Each year I want to do around 15-25 gallons of sour to be able to blend and age....maybe the forum will eventually generate enough interest to have a special section for sours?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 08:17:04 am »
Jonathon and Major -  I would be glad to be in on that exchange - plus in addition to my Flanders Solera, I have a Blackberry Brett Saison that is almost ready for racking off the fruit, if that might be of interest...it would be worth it for me just to get your honest feedback, as I am (relatively) new to the sour/funk side of the hobby.  Each year I want to do around 15-25 gallons of sour to be able to blend and age....maybe the forum will eventually generate enough interest to have a special section for sours?

Sounds like a plan to me. I have no idea how good mine will be either. I have only lightly dabbled in sours and just starting to really get into it, though I have done a bunch if Brett beers.

When mine is ready I will definitely let you guys know.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

Sounds like a plan to me. I have no idea how good mine will be either. I have only lightly dabbled in sours and just starting to really get into it, though I have done a bunch if Brett beers.

When mine is ready I will definitely let you guys know.

right on! I'll keep posting
-A Einstein

- J Joyce