Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I want to brew bigger batches  (Read 5314 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: I want to brew bigger batches
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 09:39:27 am »
I've decided that I don't need bigger batches, I need another temp controlled fermentation freezer. I like brewing and I like variety. I'd rather run four 5 gallon batches than one 20 gallon.

I hear you, Jim.  I brew 10 gallon lagers for the crowd and 5 gallon batches for myself and samplers who can venture off the path.  I went to two dedicated freezers (1 for fermenting and 1 for lagering) and run my ales in a separate brew chiller bag, rotating ice bottles, in the late spring/summer/early fall and in my garage on heater wraps in the late fall/winter/early spring.  Variety is what I have come to look forward to - but consistency on the standard offerings that my friends prefer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:32 am »
I've decided that I don't need bigger batches, I need another temp controlled fermentation freezer. I like brewing and I like variety. I'd rather run four 5 gallon batches than one 20 gallon.

I hear you, Jim.  I brew 10 gallon lagers for the crowd and 5 gallon batches for myself and samplers who can venture off the path.  I went to two dedicated freezers (1 for fermenting and 1 for lagering) and run my ales in a separate brew chiller bag, rotating ice bottles, in the late spring/summer/early fall and in my garage on heater wraps in the late fall/winter/early spring.  Variety is what I have come to look forward to - but consistency on the standard offerings that my friends prefer.

Your friends are lucky that you run a taproom for them :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:26 am »

Or twenty one gallon batches?

Yes!!! No not really. One gallon fermenters take up more floor space than vertical, so I would need even more freezers.

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:09 am »
If one doesn't have the time to do multiple small-batch brewdays and enjoys doing side-by-side fermentations of the same wort with different yeasts/additions/conditions, a larger capacity system can be a brew variety and knowledge-boosting godsend.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 01:34:24 pm »
If one doesn't have the time to do multiple small-batch brewdays and enjoys doing side-by-side fermentations of the same wort with different yeasts/additions/conditions, a larger capacity system can be a brew variety and knowledge-boosting godsend.

+1 I really like doing 10 gallon batches, and splitting the wort into two fermenters. Just don't have the time to do smaller batches lately.
Kyle M.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »

Your friends are lucky that you run a taproom for them :)

What? This isn't normal?

But really, we do several things with 5 or 10 gallon batches:
- Production mode (10g), used for light lagers or low gravity stouts
- Investigation mode (10g), used for when I want to brew something similar to what Myles wants to brew, but he wants to do something crazy to it
- "Just for us" mode (5g), used for when we just want to make the beer and not fuss about it, e.g. bocks, fest-biers, RIS, IIPA, or similar

But back to OP - talk to your LHBS! Shipping on things as large as you will need is going to be fairly high anyway, so it would be best to get it local. 25g kettle, chest cooler, 15g+ HLT, and pumps will do you some good.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
FWIW, I run a taproom (of sorts) for my friends too, but I set the beer menu.  They're free to come over and have all they like, but I'm brewing what I like or want. Generally though, there is always a hoppy beer, malty or dark beer, and a Belgian style on tap. Lagers now too.  Some bring craft beer (some of it hard to get, primo stuff), others don't. The guys that want cream ale can wait until summer, but the real beer geeks just enjoy coming over to try a new style or beer trade and hang out.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:49:40 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 08:39:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies! :) Smaller batches are not going to work for me. Not only do my girlfriend and I drink a lot of our own beer because it tastes better than any of the stuff we buy, but everyone who has tasted both beers we've made love them and want more also! We go through a 5 gallon keg in NO time! and We have a beer-gun, so we bottle it too. Which means, we never have a need to dump batches. I will get more kegs as needed. I can fit 3 in my kegorator nicely. I am determined to purchase a 1/2bbl or 1bbl system or set of equipment. I just need to know if there are some out there that are better than others...

THANKS!!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:05 pm »
You can easily double your production if you go to partial mash and top off water.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 07:59:10 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies! :) Smaller batches are not going to work for me. Not only do my girlfriend and I drink a lot of our own beer because it tastes better than any of the stuff we buy, but everyone who has tasted both beers we've made love them and want more also! We go through a 5 gallon keg in NO time! and We have a beer-gun, so we bottle it too. Which means, we never have a need to dump batches. I will get more kegs as needed. I can fit 3 in my kegorator nicely. I am determined to purchase a 1/2bbl or 1bbl system or set of equipment. I just need to know if there are some out there that are better than others...

THANKS!!

Yeah, don't listen to the naysayers on larger batches. A real home brewer has to brew at least 10 gallon batches to be considered ligit in my book. If you can't drink 10 gallons of beer in 2 weeks your beer just must not be very good.

3 gallons? *snicker* why bother? ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:00:44 am by majorvices »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 08:30:15 am »
Some things you can get a better deal on at a restaurant supply store. That's where I got my 15 gallon brew pot, a 32 gallon food grade bucket and lid for fermenting 15-25 gallon batches of mead and beer, and a stainless steel paddle stirrer. Also stuff like strainers, spoons, etc. Some things you can get used as these places buy all the equipment when a restaurant goes under, which is all the time. You can also get higher quality food processors, immersion blenders, scales. stuff like that.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 09:06:55 am »
Yeah, don't listen to the naysayers on larger batches. A real home brewer has to brew at least 10 gallon batches to be considered ligit in my book. If you can't drink 10 gallons of beer in 2 weeks your beer just must not be very good.

Darn...guess I'm not a "real" homebrewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 09:08:44 am »

Exactly! ;)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 10:27:13 am »

Exactly! ;)

Ya, well, pro brewers dont exist until I've tried their beer.

Need my shipping address?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:16 am »

Exactly! ;)

Ya, well, pro brewers dont exist until I've tried their beer.

Need my shipping address?

The whole point about being a pro-brewer is people buy the beer.

I'm seriously just needlessly trolling here. In fact, I have been making some 2 gallon batches on my home gas stove just so I can still consider myself a homebrewer. And so I have some variety of beer on hand still that I don't brew at YHB. I like the small batches because I can do it in a few hours and the mess is a lot easier to clean up. I've even been bottle conditioning.

But when I did homebrew full time I found 10 gallons was the sweet spot for both experimentation and keeping my belly full of beer. :) So I understand wanting to go bigger batches. Especially if you don't drink very much commercial beer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:47:42 am by majorvices »