Author Topic: I want to brew bigger batches  (Read 1388 times)

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
I want to brew bigger batches
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Thinking about upgrading to bigger equipment, so I can brew 15 gallons at a time? I only brew All-grain, and I've been using a 10 gallon mash tun (home-depot cylindrical), 2 brew pots, and glass carboys. That's been working great! and the beer is just amazing. I run out too fast.. I want to brew triple the amount. I want quality equipment. Where do I look?

Thanks!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: I want to brew bigger batches
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Same places you did for your previous equipment. The only thing that changes on this level is the size of the pots/tuns/etc. If you want to stay cooler - keep an eye on walmart.com, usually at the end of summer they have great deals on coolers.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline S. cerevisiae

• Senior Brewmaster
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:06:14 AM »
The beer is just amazing. I run out too fast..

You must have a lot of thirsty friends.  I went the other way. I brew 3.5-gallon batches that yield 3 gallons of kegged beer.  It takes me four to six weeks to drink that much beer.  I used to brew 5.5-gallon batches that yielded 5 gallons of kegged beer.  Beer would queue up to the point where I would have to dump batches in order to be able to brew.
Mark V.

Just say "no" to yeast rinsing
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.msg252492#msg252492

"A pale ale losing points for being too pale is like a vicar being defrocked for being too godly. It is no wonder that beer judges get such a bad rap."  - Graham Wheeler

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:34:19 AM »
If I was going to go bigger than 10 gallons I'd look at so,e of the Blickman or MoreBeer brewing stands. The one blickmann one I saw at NHC that is a real cool set up (I forget the name) and regulates your temp with a herms type rig.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:36:07 AM »

You must have a lot of thirsty friends.  I went the other way. I brew 3.5-gallon batches that yield 3 gallons of kegged beer.  It takes me four to six weeks to drink that much beer.  I used to brew 5.5-gallon batches that yielded 5 gallons of kegged beer.  Beer would queue up to the point where I would have to dump batches in order to be able to brew.

I found 10 gallons was the sweet spot for me, but il did find that I often had to dump batches to make room for more beer.

I also had a lot of thirty friends so a 5 gallon batch could disappear very quickly. Always good to know I had another keg tucked away.

Now, of course, I charge my friends for my beer at my tasting room. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:38:22 AM by majorvices »
Keith Y.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »

Same here. I still end up dumping some 3 gallon batches, as a matter of fact. If I had the time for it I'd probably drop down to 2 gallon batches so I could brew more often. Three gallons is the sweet spot for me with my more proven house recipes, but 2 makes more sense for one-off recipes.

Maybe I just need more kegs...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Headless Monk

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
Off the top of my head ...

25+ gal boil kettle.
15+ gal hot liquor tank.
Two burners.
At least one pump.

At those volumes, you can't lift stuff.  I do 10 gallon batches on occasion and I really shouldn't be lifting by myself.

For 10 gallon batches, I use a morebeer 15 gallon boil kettle and a 10 gallon polarware hot liquor tank.  I use a single blichman burner. I use a little giant pump, march brand seems to be the standard.

For cooling, you may want to look into a plate chiller. Either the blichman or duda diesel will work fine.

Mash tun really depends on what gravity you typically brew. The coleman extreme is great, but not sure if they make one large enough for a 15 gallon higher gravity beer.
Nate
Norfolk, Virginia

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Thinking about upgrading to bigger equipment, so I can brew 15 gallons at a time? I only brew All-grain, and I've been using a 10 gallon mash tun (home-depot cylindrical), 2 brew pots, and glass carboys. That's been working great! and the beer is just amazing. I run out too fast.. I want to brew triple the amount. I want quality equipment. Where do I look?

Thanks!

I use a 152 qt. cooler for large or high gravity batches.  Runs $50-60.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

For cooling, you may want to look into a plate chiller. Either the blichman or duda diesel will work fine.

I was able to cool close to 50 gallon batches of beer with a CFC (chilzilla I believe).
Keith Y.

Offline Headless Monk

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »

I was able to cool close to 50 gallon batches of beer with a CFC (chilzilla I believe).

Good point. Doesn't need to be a plate chiller, other types of counter-flow chiller would work equally well.
Nate
Norfolk, Virginia

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »

Same here. I have a fancy 15 Gallon EHerms system that can produce 5 to 10 Gal batches and just have a hard time drinking that much and dump also on occasions (i should be ashamed). Most of mine are 3 Gal also. get through it in 4 to 6 weeks also. Good luck

82Qt SS Pot. my 62Qt works great for 10gallons on my system
  http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/1082_stainless_steel_pot.htm

This is a link to mine to possibly give ya some ideas.   http://wildhops.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13136712

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
I've decided that I don't need bigger batches, I need another temp controlled fermentation freezer. I like brewing and I like variety. I'd rather run four 5 gallon batches than one 20 gallon.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
I like brewing and I like variety. I'd rather run four 5 gallon batches than one 20 gallon.

+1
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:29:27 AM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
I've decided that I don't need bigger batches, I need another temp controlled fermentation freezer. I like brewing and I like variety. I'd rather run four 5 gallon batches than one 20 gallon.

+1

+2 exactly where I am
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: 
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW
In Bottles: Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter), Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
In the works: House IPA, More Pilsner(yes its that good,) You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »

Or twenty one gallon batches?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm