Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Natural Born Losers  (Read 8059 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Natural Born Losers
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:46 pm »
The strong back and weak mind.  I get  the watchful eye. I wasnt ready to write him off but losing a 12 bbl batch will hurt. You know him best so best of luck , it is nice to vent here every now and then.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:09 am »
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:46 am »
Pretty funny I got into the position of defending him in this thread when it became a question of my judgement. ;)

He is  a pretty hard worker but he's more interested in buying cigarettes than car tags.

He definitely doesn't read the aha forum. He works In a brewery but he only has vague idea how to brew. He can squeegee the s*** out of the floor though! ;)

There are always give and takes, goods and bads.  My comment on getting rid of him was the general feeling that he was a constant screw-up.  I've seen people run businesses into the ground trying to be "nice" to employees who have no redeeming qualities.  I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.  I've had my share of screw ups over the years.

I protected a young kid in one of my service departments while trying to convince him that a 12 pack every night may not be the way to get ahead for several months once.  I finally had to fire him because of the issues he was causing.  Not to mention the insurance problems we could see coming in connection with our service vehicles.

Glad to hear he's worth the effort to keep him on.  Even in today's job market you aren't going to find strong, reliable and smart in one package too many times.  You usually have to pick 2 like the old development contracting joke (You can have it cheap, fast or accurate.  Pick any 2.)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 10:13:20 am »
I tried to help an employee get back on track with lots of issues.  Let him crash at my house, paid for some expenses, and helped secure transportation.  It was hard to watch as he didn't want to change... I think my "helping" did more harm than good for everyone involved.
-Tony

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:08 am »
What makes me angry is watching people run up their credit cards and home equity debt, then filing for bankruptcy and getting out of paying any of it back.  This leaves responsible people pretty much holding the bag.  We pay for it with higher interest rates and tighter lending practices.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
What makes me angry is watching people run up their credit cards and home equity debt, then filing for bankruptcy and getting out of paying any of it back.  This leaves responsible people pretty much holding the bag.  We pay for it with higher interest rates and tighter lending practices.
Although one could argue that lax lending practices are what leads to this particular issue and that this is all cyclic. If you're handing out what is essentially free money, then irresponsible idiots will snap it up in a heartbeat.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:34 am »
J: I'll take mythical substances for $600, Pat.
P: This fictional material is used to entice new homeowners.
J: What is home equity?

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 06:13:27 am »
Although one could argue that lax lending practices are what leads to this particular issue and that this is all cyclic. If you're handing out what is essentially free money, then irresponsible idiots will snap it up in a heartbeat.

Like what the banks are getting from the Fed?  ;)

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

narvin

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:43 am »

Who is Donald Trump, Alex?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »
Pretty much a myth. About ten years ago the lending industry was given the opportunity to rewrite the personal bankruptcy code to the point that it no longer serves the function of providing people who need it a fresh start. This is not good for any of us except lenders because it means lots of people using most of their money to pay back debt instead of participating in the economy. The number one reason people declare bankruptcy is unexpected medical expenses coupled with not being able to work for awhile because of the sickness or injury.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:45 am »
Pretty much a myth. About ten years ago the lending industry was given the opportunity to rewrite the personal bankruptcy code to the point that it no longer serves the function of providing people who need it a fresh start. This is not good for any of us except lenders because it means lots of people using most of their money to pay back debt instead of participating in the economy. The number one reason people declare bankruptcy is unexpected medical expenses coupled with not being able to work for awhile because of the sickness or injury.

I was using a very specific example with names withheld.   8)

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:52 am »

I was using a very specific example with names withheld.   8)
Yea, there's always people who can game the system. Its funny because I see people use a lot of time, effort, and brains to do something kind of sketchy when the same effort could be used to get farther ahead and be respected.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.