Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ball valve or butterfly valve  (Read 5210 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: ball valve or butterfly valve
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:49:10 pm »
If you're using a weldless fitting, then sticking a butterfly valve on there would serve little benefit. As far as I know they don't sell butterfly valves with male NPT threads for that very reason. You would have to go weldless to triclover, triclover to butterfly valve, then to triclover hose fitting.

If you do a CIP with recirculating PBW after you brew, opening ball valves half-way (and opening and closing them several times) will get them clean, no need for disassembly.

There are also sanitary fully encapsulated ball valves that prevent trapping liquid behind the ball.

At a tour of Ale Apothecary in Bend OR, the owner pointed out butterfly valves he had on the barrels, those had NPT threads to that allowed him to run the valves into the wood. Those were a special item, but they can be found. He said those were from GW Kent, which made me laugh since that is only 30 miles from where I live.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Keith G

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 02:37:28 pm »

I buy most of my fittings from bargainfittings.com . The guy that runs the place is top notch.

Disclaimer - owner is also a member of a club I belong to. I ordered and was more than satisfied with his wares before I joined the club and met him.

I bought my fittings off your suggestion Steve.  They were great prices, and he was extremely patient and helpful to the new guy (that's me) after I had a bunch of questions.  I went with the 3 piece SS ball valve, with Cam lock quick connects.

I'll let you know how they turn out when I get them installed.

Thanks.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:35:21 am »

There are also sanitary fully encapsulated ball valves that prevent trapping liquid behind the ball.
[/quote]

Typically they are cavity  filler seats.  Still by nature, a ball valve is not completely sanitary.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:59 am »
For a boil kettle, I would go with a stainless 1/2 inch ball valve.  Of course, you can get a butterfly valve if you really want to.  Either one is going to work fine.

You can get a good price on a 2 or 3 piece SS ball valve at bargainfittings.com.  You might also want to check out weldlessfittings.com.  Be sure to get a hose barb as well. 

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC