Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop tincture?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Hop tincture?
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »
Is it possible to make a tincture from whatever variety of hops and still retain the desirable qualities? Anyone ever done it for brewing purposes?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Hop tincture?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:57:06 am »
I've been reading a little on making essential oils and extracts, basically it looks like two methods, distilling and half arsed distilling.   :D  Do a search on it and you'll find a few sites with some info.  I'd like to try it with hops as well since I'm going to have way more hops than I can use.   ;D  8)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:42 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:15 am »
Is it possible to make a tincture from whatever variety of hops and still retain the desirable qualities? Anyone ever done it for brewing purposes?

What kind of "desirable qualities" are you looking for?  I.E., do you want to use the tincture for bittering, flavor, aroma, all 3...that might have a bearing on if it's possible and how you'd do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:09:02 am »
It would need to retain the flavor & bitterness primarily.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:13:18 am »
Cool...that gives us some parameters to work by.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »
OK. Just placed 4g of 16% Zeus in 100ml Everclear. Little jar. Will shake periodically and keep in the dark.

The wiki links are interesting. Hopefully alcohol will work with hop flowers.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:48 am »
Well so far I'm not getting much aroma when I open the jar. No taste test yet.