Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Choosing a house yeast  (Read 8334 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Choosing a house yeast
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:23 pm »
For my English bitters, Milds, etc...I try to keep some 1768 on hand to propagate - I like it and have even used it on a 60 Schilling Scottish Ale that was mashed pretty high and it finished off below 1.010, surprisingly.  That and 1450 for the American Ales pretty much could work for most of the lighter styles I brew.  For a bigger yeast for across the board - you could consider Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast.  I tried it on an American light rye ale and it was superb.

are you sure you mean 1768?  That's Rochefort yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »
For my English bitters, Milds, etc...I try to keep some 1768 on hand to propagate - I like it and have even used it on a 60 Schilling Scottish Ale that was mashed pretty high and it finished off below 1.010, surprisingly.  That and 1450 for the American Ales pretty much could work for most of the lighter styles I brew.  For a bigger yeast for across the board - you could consider Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast.  I tried it on an American light rye ale and it was superb.

I thought 1762 was Rochefort Denny
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 12:57:23 pm »

Right you are!  It was a test....;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 01:00:21 pm »

Right you are!  It was a test....;)

Absolutely !  Never thought otherwise.   :D
Jon H.

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 01:35:34 pm »
For a house yeast for American-style ales, I'd go with trusty ole Wyeast 1056 or WLP001. The yeast is a beast and it always chews through wort at a good clip. I usually get 80% apparent attenuation or a little higher if a portion of the fermentables is sugar, even with big beers like barleywines that have O.G.s of 1.110-1.120.

For Belgians, you should checkout The Yeast Bay Northeastern Abbey and Dry Belgian Ale. I have used the Northeastern Abbey with great success and the Dry Belgian Ale I'm currently using is chugging away. The Attenuation on the Dry Belgian Ale is reported to be very high and on of the beta testers for The Yeast Bay reported 100% apparent attenuation on his trials. Before The Yeast Bay, I used Wyeast 3787 with a lot of success for all things Belgian.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 10:32:35 am »
I thought that Wyeast 1768 was a reserve collection strain, but it is not:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_s_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=20

I have not tried the Roquefort strain, but could be convinced if others think highly of it! I can compare it to the new Abbaye Ale dry yeast that I have going in primary on a Belgian Golden Strong presently...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2014, 11:13:44 am »

I have not tried the Roquefort strain, but could be convinced if others think highly of it! I can compare it to the new Abbaye Ale dry yeast that I have going in primary on a Belgian Golden Strong presently...
I'd stay away from the Roquefort strain, as well as the Stilton, Munster and Camembert strains.  ;)

Now Rochefort, that is second only to the Unibroue strain (WY3864 - sadly only a seasonal strain) for my favorite Belgian yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:22 am »

I'd stay away from the Roquefort strain, as well as the Stilton, Munster and Camembert strains.  ;)

Now Rochefort, that is second only to the Unibroue strain (WY3864 - sadly only a seasonal strain) for my favorite Belgian yeast.

I use 3787 when I want less estery Belgian styles and 1762 for more estery styles.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2014, 11:26:43 am »

Damn autocorrect!  I clearly meant to say smoked Gouda!

Thanks for the distinction, Denny.  It's good to get a concise assessment on some of these strains.  Maybe I'll do a split batch when space allows.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:49 am »

Rochefort is probably my favorite Belgian strain, but I love pretty much all the Belgian ones. Except for the cheesy ones.    ;)
Jon H.