Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foamy Beer in Keg  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Foamy Beer in Keg
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 03:32:57 pm »

Try pulling the dip tube and putting a screen over it. Some people use stainless scrubbers. I have a braided hose I've used.

This way you won't risk oxidation from transferring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Sure Screen...

I use one of those too. Works great.

One time I thought I was fine but kept getting clogs. My chopped dip tubes have the little wings on them and wouldn't work with the problem keg. Ha to put the screen on in a full keg. complete PIA.

Offline CounterPressure

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 07:28:03 am »
I was able to check it out on thursday before i headed out for a wedding. Its definitely a lot of sediment thats clogging the diptube etc. I think im actually going to have to rack the beer out and back in which i definitely dont want to do but im not wasting this batch haha.
To protect the beer when racking, I take my co2 tank and fill the vessels with gas.  The Co2 is heavier than air, so as long as you don't pour it out or blow it out, it'll lay in the container.  That layer will protect the beer while you are racking.  I do it for carboys, kegs, buckets, whatever. 

Does sound like you put it in the keg too soon though.  Maybe need some whirlflock or other fining agents in the beer.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 07:34:03 am »
I usually use co2 to purge my vessels. Also definitely didnt put it into the keg too soon. It was sitting in primary for 4 weeks or so and was quite clear. I also only racked about 5.25 gallons of the 5.5 in the fermenter into the keg, i didnt pull any of the yeast/trub up when racking.